Giambi a sleeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi a sleeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giambi a sleeper?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Rotoworld 2/20:

Jason Giambi said Tuesday that he's expecting to play more first base this season following a conversation with manager Joe Girardi.

"He told me, 'I need you at first base,'" Giambi said. "It was nice to hear." Playing Giambi at first base would help solve the Yankees' outfield logjam, with Hideki Matsui likely seeing most of the playing time at designated hitter and Johnny Damon starting in left field.

Source: New York Post

Does anyone think he bounces back to play 140 games or so & gets 30-35 homeruns?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Giambi a sleeper?

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:15 pm

He may... but that doesn't make him a fantasy sleeper.

With that many games I'd easily give him 25-30 HR, but I can't picture putting anyone in a regular role on my team who isn't going to score more than 70 runs and can't hit over .260.

I'll gladly take a Frank Thomas, Ryan Garko, Chris Duncan, Aubrey Huff, or Dmitri Young over Giambi at 1B, and all of those options would probably be behind prospects like Billy Butler, Joey Votto, Alex Gordon, or Casey Kotchman.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasyvet » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Looks like Damon plays everyday ..Matsui and Giambi may get fewer AB
fantasyvet
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Field » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm not going to be grabbing him. I'd much rather grab a younger player with upside who doesn't have PT issues. He might have a brief hot streak or two, but that's about it.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby tooslim73 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Not a Fantasy Starter....
tooslim73
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:52 pm

Pass here as well. He might be good for a streak or two but I doubt he will be very useful.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Field wrote:I'm not going to be grabbing him. I'd much rather grab a younger player with upside who doesn't have PT issues. He might have a brief hot streak or two, but that's about it.

Anyone else thinking Butler?
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:37 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
Field wrote:I'm not going to be grabbing him. I'd much rather grab a younger player with upside who doesn't have PT issues. He might have a brief hot streak or two, but that's about it.

Anyone else thinking Butler?

MTUCache wrote:I'll gladly take a Frank Thomas, Ryan Garko, Chris Duncan, Aubrey Huff, or Dmitri Young over Giambi at 1B, and all of those options would probably be behind prospects like Billy Butler, Joey Votto, Alex Gordon, or Casey Kotchman.

Yeah... me... :-b
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Lol, wasn't reading properly.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Giambis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:Rotoworld 2/20:

Jason Giambi said Tuesday that he's expecting to play more first base this season following a conversation with manager Joe Girardi.

"He told me, 'I need you at first base,'" Giambi said. "It was nice to hear." Playing Giambi at first base would help solve the Yankees' outfield logjam, with Hideki Matsui likely seeing most of the playing time at designated hitter and Johnny Damon starting in left field.

Source: New York Post

Does anyone think he bounces back to play 140 games or so & gets 30-35 homeruns?

I play in an ops league and in ops and obp league's, he'll obviously be more valuable. With that said, I'm going to watch him this spring and see how he looks, but he is only a year removed from a 37 homerun, 110 walk season (in 550 ab's). I think comparisons with late career Frank Thomas might be apt; he might be the sort of guy who gets drafted late who could still hit 30, health permitting. The main reason why I'm still willing to consider him is that his lineup will guarantee 85 runs, 100 rbi's if he gets to 550 ab's or so. He's definitely going to be an average killer, but to the extent I need a late round backup 1b, I'm going to be considering Giambi.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers