Race card played - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Race card played

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Race card played

Postby Mugrila » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Well, "racist" is not the right term here.

This girl may have a real argument though. It sounds like what happened was the teacher would give several tests to students in the front row to pass back, and with the black students, she handed them out individually. That's this girl's story, am I correct or am I misreading this? If that was really the case, I can see a problem there. She was worried about the black kids taking the same form of the test and cheating, but not the rest of the class.

That's not racism, but it is hurtful to the black students in the class because they were singled out as possible cheaters.

I think that is how the girl perceived it, but not the actual intention of the professor. Apparently in that classroom there is a walking aisle in front of that particular row and for whatever reason the professor walked down it and just handed out the tests.

Yeah, that classroom has stadium style seating, and is a decent sized lecture hall. There is an aisle down the middle, and the front rows are actually quite close to the area the teacher would stand- no stage or anything. Tests would be distributed by walking up the aisle and handing out tests to be passed down the rows. If the students in the front row were in the middle I could see a professor handing them out individually thinking it would be more polite than handing 4 tests to one student and saying pass them down.

Again, I feel like this is something you'd have to be there to really understand b/c it seems like a lot of contextual circumstances- ie did she go way out of her way to do this or did she give them out as she was walking by to go up the row.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Race card played

Postby wake » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:37 am

I think the student overreacted in this case. There is a chance that the teacher might've been influenced by race, but judging by her decision to let the student take a make-up, I don't think it was a conscious, malevolent decision. No matter what, this event had no negative affect on the black students though. I could understand if the teacher was grading them differently than white students, but the manner a test is passed out has no real significance. In the end, these type of stories highlight that two different races exist more than they close the gap between them.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk