NBC Dumps Summer Break - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NBC Dumps Summer Break

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NBC Dumps Summer Break

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 am

It's about time. The idea of the summer break in television was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

NYTimes.com wrote:NBC Universal took a big step toward undoing one of the television industry’s oldest traditions by announcing Tuesday that it would move to a year-round schedule of staggered program introductions. The move is intended to appeal to advertisers, who crave fresh content to keep viewers tuned in.

And if it succeeds — and leads other broadcast networks to shift from their focus on a mass introduction of new shows — it could alter an American cultural cycle that extends all the way back to the days of radio, when families gathered around the Philco every September, as the school year began, to sample the new entertainment choices.

NBC plans to announce a 52-week schedule in April, a month before ABC and CBS will unveil their fall lineups at splashy presentations known as upfronts. The decision means that NBC will be committing to a new lineup of shows earlier than any of its competitors, while also inviting advertisers to build marketing plans around specific shows and perhaps to integrate brands and products into the plots of the shows themselves.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: NBC Dumps Summer Break

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 am

Good move, and long overdue. Like most people I spend a lot more time outside in the warmer months, but that doesn't mean I completely stop watching TV, nor does it mean that when I do I'm cool with watching reruns.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 pm

A few years ago FOX had a "summer season," with new shows. It never really caught on.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:11 pm

thedude wrote:A few years ago FOX had a "summer season," with new shows. It never really caught on.

true...but now with DVR's becoming more popular it might have a shot
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Yeah, it's been done before but it'll be more interesting now that the writer's strike being resolved, if we'll see some NBC prime time shows run new episodes this summer instead of just fill-in new shows for the sake of running new shows.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Return to General Talk