Starting my first auction style keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Starting my first auction style keeper league

Starting my first auction style keeper league

Postby jwalterweatherman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:44 am

I've been playing fantasy baseball for about 4 years, but I've mostly played only head to head and the occasional roto league.

I've got a good group of guys who want to do an auction style keeper league.

Any advice on how i should:

1. Configure the league (positions and scoring?)

2. Conduct the draft (i've never done this before)? Online? And if so, what website will allow us to do an auction style draft?

3. How much money should each GM start out with?

4. What website should we use to play? (I've use Yahoo before and I like that site)

5. Any suggestions on how we make keepers work? (I understand you keep them for the same price for a term of 3-5 years?)

Please post suggestions, they are much appreciated! THANKS!
jwalterweatherman
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting my first auction style keeper league

Postby BAdams21 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:33 pm

1. Configure the league - Keeper leagues generally are ROTO style leagues, with 4X4 5X5 6X6 7X7 and rarely anything over 7X7. Most are either AL or NL only leagues, but there are still allot of NL/AL combined leagues. I prefer NL only because it makes it more competitive and really tests your knowledge about the game.

2. Conduct the draft - Are all of these players local? because if they are local, i recommend a live draft at someones house, with a draft board that you can just put on a wall, and it comes with players stickers.

As far as how to conduct the draft, you can have 1 person bring up a player, say Pujols, then you go around in a circle bidding, or passing on that player, until no one elts want to bid on that person. You do that until your league is filled.

For an Online draft, you can use onlineauctioner.com or something like that, i forgot the website. Its like 40$ to set up your own draft, OR you can just do what I do, and use yahoo.com's chatrooms, and that conduct it as if everyone was in your living room right now.

3. How much money should each GM start out with? - 260$ 2Catchers, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 1 Middle Infielder, 1 Corner Infielder, 5 Outfielders, 1 Util, and 9 any type Pitcher positions. so a 23 man roster.

4. What website should we use to play? (I've use Yahoo before and I like that site) - If you have the money, and want to spend it, sportsline.com has a really great league and format, but it costs around 140$. Yahoo is a great free site, but then you would need perhaps a forum or a website or you could even put it on yahoo for how much every player is worth.

5. Any suggestions on how we make keepers work? (I understand you keep them for the same price for a term of 3-5 years?)
BAdams21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Starting my first auction style keeper league

Postby mission27 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 pm

1. Configure the league - I think you are better off with AL/NL only leagues but if you want mixed doesn't make much difference. You should have 2C,1B,2B,3B,SS,MI,CI,5OF,UT,9P, and 6 bench players that should be selected in a separate snake draft. $260 cap is the most popular and is what is used for dollar values in most magazines. I would go with roto, 5x5.

2. Conduct the draft - The best auctions obviously are live ones. If you can get that together its a ton of fun. You need to either buy or make a board to list all of the players names and how much they sold for as well as how much money each team has left. You should also hand out sheets where teams can write there rosters, and fill in other teams rosters and dollar values. If you cant do this live then really the only auction site that I know of is http://www.fantasybaseballauctioneer.com. But try for live if you can.

3. How much money should each GM start out with? - $260 cap, $100 FAAB.

4. What website should we use to play? If you want to make it easy and you are doing this online use Roto wire because they take care of draft APP and also of FAAB bidding.

5. Any suggestions on how we make keepers work? - You keep a certain amount of players (I like using 10) for either as long as you want but each year his price goes up by like 2 dollars or something so that eventually you just have to throw Arod back into the draft.

Please post suggestions, they are much appreciated! THANKS![/quote]
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Beginner's Forum