Draft Party Ideas... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Draft Party Ideas...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Party Ideas...

Postby cblanchard » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Owners-

Just wondering what fun events you guy's do on your draft day?
Do you have side bet's on anything interesting like most home runs or Rookie of the year bet's?
What things do you do to spice up the draft and keep interest through out the year?

Also- how do you run your playoffs. We have always had a 4 team playoff (12 teams), but this year decided to go to 6 teams (top two teams get a BYE), what can I do with the other six teams when we play head to head. Those teams are in the toilet bowl?

I guess I'm just looking for some different ideas to include possibly into our league. What part of your league do you like?

thanks-
cb
cblanchard Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Party Ideas...

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm thinking of getting a stripper to do a Vanna White kind of thing if I go ahead and get a draft board. Some small entertainment and will also doom my drunk leaguemates.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Matthias wrote:I'm thinking of getting a stripper to do a Vanna White kind of thing if I go ahead and get a draft board. Some small entertainment and will also doom my drunk leaguemates.

Sweet. I was just gonna say -- serve liquor, drink water.

I think side bets are a lot of fun, but I would not push it. Make suggestions, talk some trash and let them happen.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby commence8 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 am

My league doesn't have a draft party since the draft is online...however, I'll share the playoff setup we have.

Our 16-team league has 4 divisions of 4 teams. AL West, AL East, NL West, NL East.

The top 2 teams of each division gets in the championship bracket.

The other teams are in the consolation bracket. 1st and 2nd place of the consolation bracket get the 1st 2 picks of the draft the following year. This setup keeps things competitive to the last week of the season. Furthermore, each playoff matchup is 2 weeks long, not the traditional 1 week. (Our playoffs are 6 weeks long)

In your league, I'd consider using 2 divisions of 6 teams. Winner of each division gets a bye week.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby talan37 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 am

We have an online draft but a bunch of us who live near eachother get together, we are old HS buds. We basically just rag on eachother the whole time and drink. We do an auction draft so there is a lot more "active competition" than a snake draft, partway through the draft a buddy was pretty hammered and just started bidding up guys that he knew certain people really wanted. The results were pretty hilarious, although he did finish in last place:)(surprise surprise)
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby deghumacao » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:29 pm

well...for your non-playoffs team..I'll tell u what my league has done in the past...we play h2h fantasy pts...with a 2 week playoff...for those 2 same weeks all non-playoff teams compete to score the most fantasy pts...they don't compete h2h vs anyone...they just try to score the most pts among the non-playoff teams...the non-playoff team with the most fantasy pts after 2 weeks gets some of his entrance fee back.
deghumacao
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby abrage22 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Matthias wrote:I'm thinking of getting a stripper to do a Vanna White kind of thing if I go ahead and get a draft board. Some small entertainment and will also doom my drunk leaguemates.

:-D
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:06 am

I too am looking for draft party ideas. So far we're getting a 1/2 barrel of bud light. We are also grilling various meats like wings, burgers, and kabobs. Aside from all of that....there isn't much.

I was particularly trying to think of a good way to determine draft order (as we re-draft every year) rather than just pull numbers out of a hat like we are planning to do.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bstyle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:13 pm

JimmyBaseball wrote:I was particularly trying to think of a good way to determine draft order (as we re-draft every year) rather than just pull numbers out of a hat like we are planning to do.

In our league we all get a pitcher of beer, the order in which you finish that pitcher is the order in which you draft. Same guys usually battle it out for the 1st pick every year, but the guys at the end like doing it so much they have never complained. 3rd pick this year for me, my best finish :-D
bstyle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jmlevy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:32 pm

JimmyBaseball wrote:I was particularly trying to think of a good way to determine draft order (as we re-draft every year) rather than just pull numbers out of a hat like we are planning to do.

http://www.draft-tracker.com/draftOrder.cfm

But I do like bstyle's method! I would just add a medium or large pizza to the pitcher and watch everyone get sick! :-D
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner