Longoria and Baldelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Longoria and Baldelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Longoria and Baldelli

Postby rib217 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Not sure if these guys have been discussed, and frankly i know little about these two other than there is a good bit of talk about em. Any projections for these guys? I've really considered targeting both in late rounds of my draft. Baldelli is a health risk i believe and it is uncertain if Longoria has the spot yet right?

What kind of numbers would you expect from these guys in 2008?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Longoria and Baldelli

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Honestly, unless you're in a huge league or a long-term dynasty/keeper league, these guys wouldn't even be on my radar... the amount of hype about them is pretty crazy to be perfectly frank.

Longoria is definitely a good prospect, but as much for his glove as his bat. It's not like he's a masher looking for a spot in the lineup.

I'd be targeting Justin Upton, or even Jay Bruce, before I targeted either of these guys...
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Projections on Baldelli: .280/15/70/75/15

He's a career .282 hitter, but he's got potential to get over .300 (he was climbing before a short, abysmmal season last year).

Other than that... nothing much you can say. A few SB, a handful of Homeruns... not exactly production out of an OF spot.

Projections on Longoria: .300/20/80/80/5

And that's with a nearly full season... not getting called up late. These numbers would put him on par with a Mike Lowell or Scott Rolen. Honestly, they're a little inflated too, and more of a "best case scenario".

If you're looking for late 3B options, I'd definitely be looking more at Alex Gordon or Edwin Encarnacion. Much more potential in my opinion, and both with a little more proven big-league track-record (granted, only about a season).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:51 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
MTUCache wrote:Honestly, unless you're in a huge league or a long-term dynasty/keeper league, these guys wouldn't even be on my radar... the amount of hype about them is pretty crazy to be perfectly frank.

Longoria is definitely a good prospect, but as much for his glove as his bat. It's not like he's a masher looking for a spot in the lineup.

I'd be targeting Justin Upton, or even Jay Bruce, before I targeted either of these guys...

OPS in A ball 1.020
OPS in AA .931
OPS in AAA .888

44 HR in 753 AB in the minors

not sure how you think he is a good spec for his glove as much as his bat. He is a good defender, but he is a much better hitter than defender

Yeah Longoria can mash.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Alright... I'll bow to you guys on the mashing part... maybe I'm not as familiar as I should be with this minor league numbers.

But are will still talking about over-hype here?

I mean... EE had an OPS of 1.100 in the minors last year. Still nothing more than a long-shot gamble to turn that into major-league power.

Longoria hasn't hit more than 30 HR in any minor league season yet (all two of them, admittedly), and there's a pretty obvious decline in his OPS for each level he's gone up. Is there any reason to assume it will be over .800 in the majors?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:04 pm

MTUCache wrote:Alright... I'll bow to you guys on the mashing part... maybe I'm not as familiar as I should be with this minor league numbers.

But are will still talking about over-hype here?

I mean... EE had an OPS of 1.100 in the minors last year. Still nothing more than a long-shot gamble to turn that into major-league power.

Longoria hasn't hit more than 30 HR in any minor league season yet (all two of them, admittedly), and there's a pretty obvious decline in his OPS for each level he's gone up. Is there any reason to assume it will be over .800 in the majors?

What does EE's minor league OPS have anything to do with Longoria? :-?

Longoria slugged .546 in two seasons, all the way up to AAA as a 21 yo. Would you be more comfortable if he slugged .600?

By the way EE has a .451 SLG in his career in the minors and has a .450 SLG in the majors.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 pm

I see Longoria making the team only because of a lack of competition. If Longoria doesn't win the job, then that means he'll have lost it to Joel Guzman, Willy Aybar or, dare I say, Ben Zobrist. I'm not seeing that happen unless BJ Upton moves back to 2B and Iwamura re-mans third.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers