MCab - Into Camp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MCab - Into Camp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MCab - Into Camp

Postby roninmedia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:52 am

Even as a Marlins fan, I wouldn't take Cabrera in the top 6 of a redraft. From what I see, he fits into the #7-10 spot. Sportsline has one of the highest projections for Cabrera.

.323/110/132/39/2. <--- Damn good numbers. 15 pts more in BA, same number of runs, 22 more rbis, 9 more homers and 28 less SBs than Wright.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cards05 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:16 pm

roninmedia wrote:Even as a Marlins fan, I wouldn't take Cabrera in the top 6 of a redraft. From what I see, he fits into the #7-10 spot. Sportsline has one of the highest projections for Cabrera.

.323/110/132/39/2. <--- Damn good numbers. 15 pts more in BA, same number of runs, 22 more rbis, 9 more homers and 28 less SBs than Wright.

Shandler has him at .342/101/131/36/4 with a 1.026 OPS. He argues that FB% has increased every year and he's still in his growth years. Also, he is going from an average at best lineup to one of the best in baseball and is going from a park that decreases RH home runs by %15 to one that decreases them by 8%.

I'm not as high on him as some, but I'll pay the extra few dollars for the consistency he provides. In a straight draft, I'd probably take him at 5 or so, knowing that he may be outperformed by Hanley, Reyes or Braun.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:18 pm

Don't forget that MCab will see a lot more juicey pitches and hit with men on base more this season. It's a heck of a line-up in the Motor D. A career year cannot be ruled out.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

cards05 wrote:
roninmedia wrote:Even as a Marlins fan, I wouldn't take Cabrera in the top 6 of a redraft. From what I see, he fits into the #7-10 spot. Sportsline has one of the highest projections for Cabrera.

Shandler has him at .342/101/131/36/4 with a 1.026 OPS. He argues that FB% has increased every year and he's still in his growth years. Also, he is going from an average at best lineup to one of the best in baseball and is going from a park that decreases RH home runs by %15 to one that decreases them by 8%.

Holy crap... that average is insane. Especially with everything else in the exact same range.

I'm not as high on him as some, but I'll pay the extra few dollars for the consistency he provides. In a straight draft, I'd probably take him at 5 or so, knowing that he may be outperformed by Hanley, Reyes or Braun.

I'm in the exact same boat.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dannahann » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am

I compile averaged projections from all the mainstream fantasy sources I come across, (14 sources to date). The numbers posted are right in line with MCab's averaged set as would be expected for a hitter of his consistancy:
592AB / 36HR / 108R / 126RBI / 4SB / 0.328AVG / 0.928OPS
My own opinion is that these numbers might be slightly conservative if anything.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 am

I'd take him Top 5, especially with Pujols' wonky elbow. A bit slimmed down, vastly improved lineup, slightly better park, great consistency ...

I think the 5-category guys are overvalued and the really great 4-category guys are underrated. Cabrera is a power-spike away from being a perennial Triple Crown threat (he can threaten 40 now). I would rather start with that and either draft a Shane Victorino-type later or punt steals than take a lot of the first-round speed guys.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rotundor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 am

duckbillgates wrote:I'd take him Top 5, especially with Pujols' wonky elbow. A bit slimmed down, vastly improved lineup, slightly better park, great consistency ...

I think the 5-category guys are overvalued and the really great 4-category guys are underrated. Cabrera is a power-spike away from being a perennial Triple Crown threat (he can threaten 40 now). I would rather start with that and either draft a Shane Victorino-type later or punt steals than take a lot of the first-round speed guys.

The 5-cat players may not necessarily be overvalued but they're just not my kind of value.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers