Taking the Big Three? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Taking the Big Three?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Taking the Big Three?

Postby astimeexpires.com » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:23 pm

Would you guys ever draft Hudson, Mulder and then Zito in consecutive rounds if you were able to? Or would you want to diversify your staff a bit? Do you think it would be possible to draft all three in the same draft? It seems as if Zito is dropping in most drafts.
http://www.astimeexpires.com
"Making Sports Humor a Possibility"
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ferris182 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:35 pm

If you can draft them all, thats great and not a bad idea to do if you are in a roto league.

H to H, you may not want to do it.

By the way- you probably will not get 2 of them, and definately not all 3. Usually once one of them goes, they all pretty much get picked that round or soon there after.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:35 pm

i think that yeah it may be possible to draft all three - if your first three picks were them. The thing about the big three is that they dont have THAT much fantasy value. Dont get me wrong they will help your team and are excellent pitchers but you can get guys that K more guys (none of the big 3 are strikeout pitchers) and will have more wins, while still having a good ERA and WHIP.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dude86 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:36 pm

I would never ever want all three of them on my team. Heres how it works with them every season. One of them has a great Cy Young type season. Another has an average season like Zito last year. And the third gets injured. My prediction for this year,

Zito - Cy Young type season
Mulder - average season
Hudson - gets injured
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BGbootha » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:47 pm

really your right they don't have all that much value when it comes to fantasy. I say this more than anything else on this board. Fantasy value and MLB value are two very different things.

They aren't going to get you the K's you need. ERA should be good. but with that lineup, they are going to have to pitch a shutout to pull a simple W.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ncstate04 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:51 pm

I had mulder and hudson on my team last year. They were the nucleus of my rotation, but killed me in strikeouts. While all three are very good pitchers, IMO they are very similar in their value. I would draft one or two of them, but then look to get a strikeout pitcher, or a pitcher that will get a lot of wins.
ncstate04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:25 pm

i got mulder on my new keeper team as my # 2 starter. i paired him up with Kerry Wood. i think it is a very good combination. the only problem is my third starter is Esteban Loaiza :-o
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:11 pm

Dude86 wrote:I would never ever want all three of them on my team. Heres how it works with them every season. One of them has a great Cy Young type season. Another has an average season like Zito last year. And the third gets injured.

Zito didn't have a average season. His era+ was 129. That's quite a way from average.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers