General Commentary (2007-2008 Season) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

General Commentary (2007-2008 Season)

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

Re: General Commentary (2007-2008 Season)

Postby kaveman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:05 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:We'll require a urine sample and your credit card number.

Send it to:

Craig Gould
c/o Philadelphia Man-Boy Love Association
Philadelphia
PA

The sample is easy to get, just turn his faucet on, should yield the same results.

kaveman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:04 am

AussieDodger wrote:We'll require a urine sample and your credit card number.

Send it to:

Craig Gould
c/o Philadelphia Man-Boy Love Association
Philadelphia
PA

:-o stalker in the house.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: General Commentary

Postby RedBullVodka » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:rockets, any thought as to who we should invite in the last couple of spots?

Owner situation

The one owner who will def. not be returning is Threelions. I am undecided about Breast Homage Albion but I am leaning towards replacing him as well. Any comments about those two owners would be welcome (PM me if you want). In regards to their replacements, I am not sure of that yet. Figure I will PM a couple of cafe vets and as a last resort post in the classifieds forum. If you have any suggestions (or another owner has a suggestion) feel free to post.

Categories

I think the losses cat. was a good deterrent for churning. Certainly the settings can be tweaked as we try to find the perfect mix. I am not too savy with all of the baseball stats that are out there though. I wonder what settings Yahoo has for pitching. Maybe if we had that list we could narrow it down.

Format

I am open to anything. We could even draft fresh every year. Dynasty would obviously be the most difficult to implement considering you need 12 dedicated owners. Finding replacements in that format is challenging. Maybe we could do a keeper with certain settings. I think I remember reading on the cafe about a keeper league where you can keep certain players but you lose the draft pick the next year in the round they were drafted. I'm sure there are other creative keeper leagues out there. The one thing that I would like to see is a small minor league system. I was in one of those for one year and it is fun to draft some hometown minor leaguers and hope they can contribute to your team in a yr or two. Maybe you draft 5 minor leaguers each year and then keep 2 for the following year if they still qualify as a minor leaguer (those rules would have to be established of what qualifies as a minor leaguer).

Misc.

I would also like to see a system where the owner who wins the previous year becomes the commish for the next year. I am still willing to commish the league but it could be a nice perk for winning the league.

I was Breast Homage Albion last year. I'm fine with whatever you decide. I joined the league as a replacement owner, and I will admit found it difficult to get involved as much as I did in other leagues I was in, because I simply didn'thave the buy-in drafting your own players gives you.

I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to stay involved all off-season as well, if you go down the minor leaguer route - which may sign my own death sentence!! But I will be around on the board (probably not every day) from now on. It's up to you guys...as I said earlier, whatever you decide is cool with me.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 44)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Unless you find someone really ideal to join this league, I'd be willing to give RBV a mulligan. I remember him being active in another cafe league I was in with him and with the team he had in this one, it was so albatross that how many people would really be super active with it?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: General Commentary

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:53 pm

RedBullVodka wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:rockets, any thought as to who we should invite in the last couple of spots?

Owner situation

The one owner who will def. not be returning is Threelions. I am undecided about Breast Homage Albion but I am leaning towards replacing him as well. Any comments about those two owners would be welcome (PM me if you want). In regards to their replacements, I am not sure of that yet. Figure I will PM a couple of cafe vets and as a last resort post in the classifieds forum. If you have any suggestions (or another owner has a suggestion) feel free to post.

Categories

I think the losses cat. was a good deterrent for churning. Certainly the settings can be tweaked as we try to find the perfect mix. I am not too savy with all of the baseball stats that are out there though. I wonder what settings Yahoo has for pitching. Maybe if we had that list we could narrow it down.

Format

I am open to anything. We could even draft fresh every year. Dynasty would obviously be the most difficult to implement considering you need 12 dedicated owners. Finding replacements in that format is challenging. Maybe we could do a keeper with certain settings. I think I remember reading on the cafe about a keeper league where you can keep certain players but you lose the draft pick the next year in the round they were drafted. I'm sure there are other creative keeper leagues out there. The one thing that I would like to see is a small minor league system. I was in one of those for one year and it is fun to draft some hometown minor leaguers and hope they can contribute to your team in a yr or two. Maybe you draft 5 minor leaguers each year and then keep 2 for the following year if they still qualify as a minor leaguer (those rules would have to be established of what qualifies as a minor leaguer).

Misc.

I would also like to see a system where the owner who wins the previous year becomes the commish for the next year. I am still willing to commish the league but it could be a nice perk for winning the league.

I was Breast Homage Albion last year. I'm fine with whatever you decide. I joined the league as a replacement owner, and I will admit found it difficult to get involved as much as I did in other leagues I was in, because I simply didn'thave the buy-in drafting your own players gives you.

I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to stay involved all off-season as well, if you go down the minor leaguer route - which may sign my own death sentence!! But I will be around on the board (probably not every day) from now on. It's up to you guys...as I said earlier, whatever you decide is cool with me.

You were in a tough situation and you stayed fairly active in the league even after taking over a horrid team in last place. ;-D Most people would be gung ho about being a replacement owner at first and then lose complete interest. So kudos for that. The one thing I was concerned about is that you haven't been around the cafe too much and we conduct all of the off-season business here. That's all. ;-D
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby RedBullVodka » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence, GP.

Rockets, you're right, I'm not around the cafe much in the off-season, although in previous years I have had no reason to be - if I have a reason then that could change. That said, if you want a more committed owner in that regard, or have cafe guys you want in the league more than me, I'm more than happy to dip out. The other thing you should be aware of is, that I'm English, and therefore time zones can be an issue in drafts (but as GP will testify in regard the other cafe league last year, I do my best not to hold things up).

Bottom line: If I'm in, I'll be in. If I'm not, then no problem.

PS GP: do you know what is happening with Rock's league? I'm keen to play in that one again.
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm

RedBullVodka wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence, GP.

Rockets, you're right, I'm not around the cafe much in the off-season, although in previous years I have had no reason to be - if I have a reason then that could change. That said, if you want a more committed owner in that regard, or have cafe guys you want in the league more than me, I'm more than happy to dip out. The other thing you should be aware of is, that I'm English, and therefore time zones can be an issue in drafts (but as GP will testify in regard the other cafe league last year, I do my best not to hold things up).

Bottom line: If I'm in, I'll be in. If I'm not, then no problem.

PS GP: do you know what is happening with Rock's league? I'm keen to play in that one again.

we run slow drafts here at the cafe with 12 or even 24 hour time limits so i dont think that will be an issue. most people here are interested in making this a keeper with a minor league system of some sort though, so if you aren't interested in that, we may have to part our ways.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am

So what were we talking about?
This is what I gathered.........

We like 5-8 keepers
We like 5 or 6 or something minor leaguers
WickedSmaat in (nice two birds with one stone zinger about Phillies water ;-D )
RedBullVodka in?
kaveman and I love the categories.

;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RedBullVodka » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 am

More than happy to play in a keeper league. My baseball knowledge doesn't, at the moment, go as far as the minor leagues (it is a bit like asking a non-English football fan to start talking about players from the lower leagues), but if I'm in I'll do my research. ;-D

But if you want to replace me with a better qualified candidate from the Cafe, feel free. :-D
2009 H2HWS Champion
RedBullVodka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Cold Stove League