Kazmir Hype Machine...Again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kazmir Hype Machine...Again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kazmir Hype Machine...Again

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:29 pm

hot4tx wrote:Any more news on Kaz? As it is today where would you feel safe taking him in a 12-team 5x5? 6th round too early? 7th? 8th?

News on him is that they are letting the swelling go down before doing anything else. He is receiving treatment (ice/hot etc) and then they will re-evaluate when he can throw again. He is still on track to throw in about a week and half. Scotty is adamant that he will start the opening day of the season, but the Rays are being very cautious so u may see them hold him back a few starts if they think it is best.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Any more news on Kaz? As it is today where would you feel safe taking him in a 12-team 5x5? 6th round too early? 7th? 8th?

News on him is that they are letting the swelling go down before doing anything else. He is receiving treatment (ice/hot etc) and then they will re-evaluate when he can throw again. He is still on track to throw in about a week and half. Scotty is adamant that he will start the opening day of the season, but the Rays are being very cautious so u may see them hold him back a few starts if they think it is best.

Are they planning on another MRI once the swelling is gone to see if anything was missed?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:09 pm

moochman wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Are they planning on another MRI once the swelling is gone to see if anything was missed?

Not at this time. They are confident that the first MRI showed what was going on. I think if he starts to throw and there is any swelling, they will do another one
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Now my question.
If he starts the season the DL, will they replace him with someone or go with a 4 man rotation?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:06 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Now my question.
If he starts the season the DL, will they replace him with someone or go with a 4 man rotation?

They said they will replace him. It will be one of Jackson/Hammel/Howell. Whoever does not make the 5th starter
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Just to let you guys know

The swelling in Kaz's arm is gone and he is now working with the trainers using a towel and some of those rubber band things to simulate throwing for the next couple days. He is on track to start long tossing in about 2 days. He is confident he will not miss the opener
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sensei » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for the info. ;-D As one of many Kaz owners or those considering him for a keeper, gotta love the valuable info
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby guffee » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 am

Yoda wrote:
zEli173 wrote:This latest news aside, I see big things for Kazmir this year. I try not to get too caught up in split stats because it's too easy to make the data say what you want to hear. But there is a real story behind Kazmir's 2007 splits. I owned him in one league and watched a lot of his first half starts in frustration. I also watched his first post-break start and it was immediately obvious he was a different pitcher. If you watched at the time, it was evident that Kazmir had found his command. Whatever was wrong during the first half (health, approach, mechanics) had been corrected during the break and he kept building from that first start back. The turnaround was very dramatic, but it made so much sense if you saw it for yourself.

Perhaps there will be some regression over the full season, but I would draft expecting him to be in line with his second half.

Rays changed his mechanics early part of 07 and he went back to his old mechanics right around the ASB.

They did this to change his chances of getting an injury and now he is injured again. Will he continue with his regular windup or will he be experimenting again?
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Nene » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 am

I have Kazmir in both the leagues I just drafted. I'm feeling good about him putting up the same solid numbers as last year - or better.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:36 pm

guffee wrote:
Yoda wrote:
zEli173 wrote:This latest news aside, I see big things for Kazmir this year. I try not to get too caught up in split stats because it's too easy to make the data say what you want to hear. But there is a real story behind Kazmir's 2007 splits. I owned him in one league and watched a lot of his first half starts in frustration. I also watched his first post-break start and it was immediately obvious he was a different pitcher. If you watched at the time, it was evident that Kazmir had found his command. Whatever was wrong during the first half (health, approach, mechanics) had been corrected during the break and he kept building from that first start back. The turnaround was very dramatic, but it made so much sense if you saw it for yourself.

Perhaps there will be some regression over the full season, but I would draft expecting him to be in line with his second half.

Rays changed his mechanics early part of 07 and he went back to his old mechanics right around the ASB.

They did this to change his chances of getting an injury and now he is injured again. Will he continue with his regular windup or will he be experimenting again?

Thats not why they changed his mechanics. They did it to allow him to have more control of his pitches on the outside of the plate. It didn't work. Is change in mechanics had nothing to do with injury concerns
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers