Francoeur is "country strong" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francoeur is "country strong"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Francoeur is "country strong"

Postby talan37 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:04 pm

I was not trying to make a precise calculation, simply an analogy of a guy who has so much value tied up in one category, if that categories exceptionalness, or "likelyhood" of exceptionalness goes away then that player will lose value. If reyes only had 40 steals a year I doubt he would go in the first round.

Not sure what your trying to argue with the projections, the ADP, draft position are all based on mathematical projections of some kind, whether the player has been in the league for 2 years or 20. If you are a believer in a certain player, or like what have read then you can tick up a player some ranks, or if you don't believe you tick them down a bit. You might ignore the actual numbers, but if your using any sort of ADP, draft ranking, or anything aside from just looking at a guys name; then your using mathematical projections, either directly or indirectly.

Does that mean projections/rankings etc are always true... of course not, and applying some measure of our own personal experience or our insight onto the original projection is a good way to determine player value, and thus your draft strategy. If people expected him to hit .280-35-100-90-5 which would be a modest improvement over his 2006 numbers(+.20 average, +5 hrs, -3rbi, +7runs, +4 steals), i doubt he would be going between 80-120(mostly around 100ish) in drafts. But most projections put him "roughly" in the middle of his 06' and '07 numbers, which corresponds pretty closely to his current ADP.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 am

bigh0rt wrote:
swyck wrote:Hope those muscles don't get in the way of swinging the bat and hitting the ball. Strength is nice but this ain't football.

Have you ever heard of that being the case? I can't recall any, off the top of my head.

How does that weight training look now?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Yoda » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 am

Yoda wrote:I always thought he was a bit overrated. He seems solid and can put together a good season but I'm not one of those who believe he will breakout in 08.

Whew... thank god I didn't praise him this year or I'd look like an idiot right now. :-° :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 am

I didn't praise him either in this thread but it doesn't matter, I still drafted him on one team because I wanted a hitter in the 8th round and was purposely putting off pitching.

After Francoeur, the next 5 hitters taken were Ryan Zimmerman, Andruw Jones, Edgar Renteria, Vernon Wells, and Alex Gordon.

Tim Lincecum would have been real nice with that pick instead. !+)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:27 am

Grounded Polo wrote:I didn't praise him either in this thread but it doesn't matter, I still drafted him on one team because I wanted a hitter in the 8th round and was purposely putting off pitching.

After Francoeur, the next 5 hitters taken were Ryan Zimmerman, Andruw Jones, Edgar Renteria, Vernon Wells, and Alex Gordon.

Tim Lincecum would have been real nice with that pick instead. !+)

I didn't draft Lincecum in hopes that he would start off slowly and I would make a trade for him but obviously that plan didn't work out so good. !+)
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:30 am

This league counts losses and I was worried about Lincecum getting Matt Cain'd all year long. If it were a normal 5x5, I would've taken him.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:32 am

AussieDodger wrote:What a shame all those big muscles won't help him to walk more. :-D

chipper wrote:God, does anyone remember that Frenchy is only starting his 3rd full year? You guys make it sound like he's been around for forever and hasn't made any strides. The guy hit for very good average last year, hit a decent number of homeruns, and drove in over a hundred runs for the second straight year. Oh yeah, and he doubled his walks (which wasn't hard to do, but it shows he's working on it).

The numbers he's put up in his short career have been very good, and his approach at the plate is definitely improving.
Who knows what the added muscle will really do for him, all I know is I'll take a chance on a guy who's going into only his 3rd full season, has shown improvement each year, and is around that 27 yr old age where players breakout. ;-D

AussieDodger wrote:His .330 minor league OBP says it is unlikely to improve.
In a non-fantasy sense he is only half a player in my eyes. ;-D

He's not even half a player now.
He's gone from "league average" to a Juan Pierre OPS rather quickly.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Field » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 am

Early in the pre-season I was somewhat intrigued by Francoeur; however, both of my main leagues count OPS as the 6th category and I didn't want to take an outfielder in the top 10 rounds who would hurt me in the category.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:55 am

I was never very impressed by Francoeur at any point in his short career. He reminded me a lot of Vernon Wells (a low OBP power outfielder), but just generally worse overall. I tend to avoid these guys in fantasy drafts. Jeff has a .724 OPS in his career agaisnt righties, that's simply not going to cut it. He's going to make it back into the majors at some point, and could still find a niche as a platoon outfielder, but he's going to have to figure out how to hit right-handed pitching to be a truly successful player in the bigs.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Can't believe they just recalled him. He only played in 3 freakin games in Mississippi. I guess they did it for mental reasons and not to help with his terrible swing.

I just hope they don't give him the fulltime RF job back. He can platoon or be a bench player. Braves were 4-1 with no Frenchy.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers