Francoeur is "country strong" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Francoeur is "country strong"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Francoeur is "country strong"

Postby talan37 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 pm

I am a Francoeur fan and drafted him last year for 4$.. which is near the end of the OF. I think people are hesitant is because a lot of his value is tied up in his hr's. 19 just doesn't cut it, and frankly low 20's doesn't either imo. Many people expected him to at least match his '06 performance if not improve because of his age. The mathematical projections for him in '08 simply don't look that good.

Imagine if Reyes who had stolen 60 bases in his first full year, then stole 20 the next year. Because so much of his value comes from his SB, and there really isn't a good explanation for why they went down, it tends to make the 60 look like the anomaly and 20 look like the norm. Which would drop his value.(The above is theoretical obviously, but the analogy is relevant).
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tooslim73 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:10 pm

I don't think he'll carry a fantasy team but in mixed leagues he's a fantasy starter.

I'd bet most if not all of his stats are on the up.

Also, he plays every friggin' inning.
tooslim73
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chipper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:35 pm

tooslim73 wrote:Also, he plays every friggin' inning.

In an improved lineup over most of last year.

Against lefties they'll probably let him bat between Teix and McCann. Nice spot.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:05 pm

chipper wrote:
tooslim73 wrote:Also, he plays every friggin' inning.

In an improved lineup over most of last year.

Against lefties they'll probably let him bat between Teix and McCann. Nice spot.

I sure hope he gets to bat between them two for years,

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:08 pm

I think Jeff might approach around 40 HR's this season. Just a hunch...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:48 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:I think Jeff might approach around 40 HR's this season. Just a hunch...

I have to disagree. I don't think he even sniffs 40.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:47 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:I think Jeff might approach around 40 HR's this season. Just a hunch...

I have to disagree. I don't think he even sniffs 40.

This is my prediction for him
.289 31 114 93 7

The highest possible ceiling is

.296 36 119 108 11

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby oscar15 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm

The year they signed Francoeur I was relaxing in the LF stands during BP. Next thing I know somebody is launching balls into and over the bleachers in left and left center field. We were checking our programs to see who the hell it was. Somebody finally said that's Francouer, they just signed him and they are letting him take some BP at Turner Field I don't care if they were grooving every pitch down the middle, the kid put on a show!

It would not surprise me if the kid reaches 40 homers someday...maybe this year (although I wouldn't bet on that)
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby CadensDad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Well he is still young enough to develop that type of power, I'd be willing to bet on him getting there in another year or two, but would much rather see his AVG/OBP rise and his homer stay around the 30-35 mark and give me a solid AVG/OBP

CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm

talan37 wrote:I am a Francoeur fan and drafted him last year for 4$.. which is near the end of the OF. I think people are hesitant is because a lot of his value is tied up in his hr's. 19 just doesn't cut it, and frankly low 20's doesn't either imo. Many people expected him to at least match his '06 performance if not improve because of his age. The mathematical projections for him in '08 simply don't look that good.

I don't understand what "mathematical" projections are... the only math to apply in this case is that his HRs dropped from 29 to 19 in his first two full years. There isn't enough data there to make a mathematical projection of his HRs. Are you assuming a 33% drop every year? So he'll only hit 14 HRs this year?

talan37 wrote:Imagine if Reyes who had stolen 60 bases in his first full year, then stole 20 the next year. Because so much of his value comes from his SB, and there really isn't a good explanation for why they went down, it tends to make the 60 look like the anomaly and 20 look like the norm. Which would drop his value.(The above is theoretical obviously, but the analogy is relevant).

Actually, the analogy is not relevant at all. For it to be even slightly relevant, you'd have to say "Imagine if Reyes who had stolen 60 bases in his first full year, then stole 40 the next year". Now it doesn't look so bad. Then you'd ask yourself why the number dropped by 1/3, for which there could be MANY reasons (injury, bad luck, mechanics, skills declining).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers