Help my baseball and fantasy rookie bro out WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Help my baseball and fantasy rookie bro out WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help my baseball and fantasy rookie bro out WHIR

Postby JoshDJays » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:44 pm

My bro has never really followed baseball or fantasy but he's gotten interested for this year and he did this draft (after reading up and getting ready for only a couple of days). How did he do and what can he do to improve? As you can see, he likes his young pitchers. Thanks!

12 team, h2h, 5x5, 40 roster moves max

C Bengie Molina
1B Garrett Atkins
2B B.J Upton
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Hanley Ramirez
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Nick Markasis
OF Shane Victorino
UTIL James Loney
B Melky Cabrera
B Frank Thomas

SP Scott Kazmir
SP Tim Lincecum
RP Brad Lidge
RP Joakim Soria
P Yovani Gallardo
P Jeremy Bonderman
P Zach Greinke
B Shaun Marcum
B Brian Wilson
B Jeremy Accardo

Notable FAs include

C Ramon Hernandez, A.J. Pierzynski, Mike Napoli
1B Richie Sexson, Chris Duncan, Billy Butler, Lyle Overbay
2B Felipe Lopez, Luis Castillo
3B Eric Chavez, Akinori Iwamura
SS Julio Lugo, Yuniesky Betancourt
OF Mike Cameron, Colby Rasmus, Jay Bruce, Bill Hall, Jose Guillen, Coco Crisp, Moises Alou, Cameron Maybin
SP Chris Carpenter, Andrew Miller, Randy Johnson, Hiroki Kuroda, Franklin Morales, Homer Bailey, Greg Maddux, Chuck James, Boof Bonser, Dave Bush, Orlando Hernandez, Jason Schmidt, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Jair Jurrgens, Adam Loewen, Shawn Hill
RP Troy Percival, C.J. Wilson, Joaquin Benoit, Brian Fuentes, Pat Neshek, Scot Shields
Last edited by JoshDJays on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoshDJays Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help my baseball and fantasy rookie bro out WHIR

Postby mpoland92 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:13 pm

wow, for his first draft he did better than I did with my first draft..... here are a couple things that might help him out....

1- are you gonna play Frank Thomas???? with Loney at ur UT I would dump him because he has no playing position value... find a guy that has multiple position eligibility to maximize ur roster spot, someone like a Yunel Escobar from the Braves who is starting and will be a good addition.

2- you dont really need 4 closers, and Accardo wont end up the closer this year anyways, so I would drop him for someone else.. maybe a Jon Garland who people have forgot about this year, but he has a new home and a better pitching coach and a stout offense doesnt hurt either... maybe even drop Wilson for someone like a George Sherrill who will be BAL closer this season.....

hope this helps and good luck!!!!

What I post is my OPINION, I have never said I was a expert, you asked for help, I gave you my help.
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 pm

solid start. may want to find a bigger bat to fill in at util, but Thomas might be that guy. SP has a little work to go, but I'm a big believer on figuring that out during the year. overall, nice start.

'lil help

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=322086
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MrE » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm not saying the "lot of work" on the rotation that others are mentioning. The rotation looks pretty good to me. You definitely need to turn one of those relievers into an additional starter, but I do not think you need to go crazy here. I would probably dangle Soria for a guy like Jered Weaver/Pedro Martinez. They generally draft around the same area.

Your offense has steals down pat. HR look to be around average. You may have to look at getting a power infusion at some point, but your lineup has pop at every position......so this may be an empty concern. I like the idea of Loney at first, Atkins at third, and finding a big bat (Thomas could be that guy although I'm hesitant to rely on him) for the utility spot. EE is on my breakout list, but I wouldn't count on him this early at the third base spot.

Return the favor: viewtopic.php?t=321895
- MrE -
MrE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby htmt519 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 am

Carpenter might be worth a flier if his prognosis is good.
LET'S GO METS!
htmt519
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby diehardsoxfan1008 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:28 am

Your staff seems kind of weak to me I would pick up Carpenter and try to upgrade at sp a little more.
diehardsoxfan1008
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chillyumpop » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:09 pm

the hitting is decent but i feel like you might need another bat. i would try to find out who has bj ryan and make a trade with him using accardo as bait. but his team is good enough to just wait it out and see who gets dumped over the course of spring training. i agree with jon garland being someone that is gonna be overlooked. if hes available i'd check him out.
chillyumpop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bsblallstr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 am

I think moving Atkins to 3rd and Loney to first with Thomas as your DH might make your lineup better to start with, but Encarnacion coud be a big hitter, so dont drop him but Thomas will hit more HR's and maybe have a better average, you look like you will win SB with victorino, H Ram and Upton. Very solid team, since lidge is hurt, look for another RP to fill in there
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team