double SS pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

double SS pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

double SS pick?

Postby Collateral » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:17 pm

Wondering why so many people on ESPN drafts take Nomar and Tejada with their first two picks in the draft (for example, in a 10team league, drafting them 10/11, 9/12, 8/13)

Are they trying to screw others over? Hoping to have trade bait? Isn't it better to just draft a Manny/Maggs/Sheff in the 2nd round instead of trying to trade for one of them later on?
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:26 pm

First, that's early for both of them, in my opinion. Second, I think it's because the owners are crazy. I mean, they can try to trade them, but the other owners will know this and often take advantage of it, playing the owners off each other. I might pull that strategy later on in the draft--say draft Foulke/Wagner back to back, but not in the first two rounds. Nuts.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:27 pm

If they're drafting Tejada over Manny/Mags/Shef, then let them...last year this double SS strategy might have worked on draft day, but with the depth that has developed at the position, it doesn't make as much sense. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Taking Soriano/Boone in the 1st/3rd back to back would make more sense to me...I assume their reason must be trade bait.
Last edited by fezzik on Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BKeller » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:29 pm

I think some of those drafts play more than just one shortstop; for example you play a 2B, a SS, and another middle infielder ("MIF"). So they take Nomar as their SS and Tejada as their middle infielder. I don't like the strategy because it ties your hands . . . when Furcal drops to the 7th round you're kicking yourself. But anyway, I think that's the story rather than that they are trying to squeeze their opponents. (But if the draft rules require only a SS and no MIF, then I'm clueless.)
BKeller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Collateral » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:32 pm

all great points. thanks for sharing.

makes me wonder if they have that MIF spot which my league doesn't... but still kinda crazy to take two of those guys before some of the OF/1B studs that would still be avail.
Collateral
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swingaway » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:31 pm

this at all cost get a-rod now je gots 3rd base eligabilty now you can either pick a ss or 3rb bseman .
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:59 pm

BKeller wrote:I think some of those drafts play more than just one shortstop; for example you play a 2B, a SS, and another middle infielder ("MIF"). So they take Nomar as their SS and Tejada as their middle infielder. I don't like the strategy because it ties your hands . . . when Furcal drops to the 7th round you're kicking yourself. But anyway, I think that's the story rather than that they are trying to squeeze their opponents. (But if the draft rules require only a SS and no MIF, then I'm clueless.)

ESPN leagues require that you start a SS, one MIF (2B/SS) and a Utility player that can be any (non pitching) position.

I guess the reasoning behind that move depends on which Tejada you expect to see this year. If he puts up career numbers in a hitters park and Nomar stays healthy (obviously fairly big if's) then it looks like a good move. Not saying I'd do this, but I can see why someone would.

In keeper leagues, the deep SS position, just became one player less deep...
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers