Chase Utley lite - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chase Utley lite

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chase Utley lite

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:15 am

What do you guys think of Robinson Cano? Last year just short of 100/20/100 and provided a good avg. despite having a horrible 1st half. He's in a very advantageous park and offense, and currently going in about the late 4th round, after Chone, Roberts, Phillips, Upton, and Utley.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chase Utley lite

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:18 am

no
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 am

"No" to what, I didn't purpose anything? I asked what people thought of him, what exactly are you trying to say? In case you didn't know, the use of more than one word can often, but not always make your intended meaning more clear.

"No" you don't think he deserves to be called Utley lite? "No" you don't like his chances of putting up #'s relative to his ADP?
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:20 am

i think he's more valuable in a keeper league because eventually he will move into a better spot in the lineup. for 08 redraft leagues though, i would probably take all those guys and maybe even kinsler before him. i wish cano had more speed. is he just really slow or did joe torre not like running him for some reason? is there a chance that girardi will run him more?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 am

Cano has a good chance of sliding into the 3 hole to replace Abreu in 2009 if he has a strong season and they let Abreu go. That will be the time to own him if it comes to that.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 am

Yeah he's a good player but I wouldn't call him Utley lite just yet. Not a guy I'm really targeting either. If I can't get Utley, Philips, or Upton in the first 2 or 3 rounds I'm going to wait for a 2 bagger and take someone like Weeks, Kelly Johnson, or Kendrick way later.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:45 am

I anticipate Robinson Cano having a very strong season, and aside from Upton, he may be the best long-term 2B keeper option in the entire league, as Chase closes in on 30 years of age. If I were in a league that allowed you to keep a player indefinitely, and I were trying to turn the team around, Cano would definitely be my top 2B target.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm

well in a keeper upton will likely lose that 2B eligibility after this yr.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Gang Green » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 pm

If Cano ran a little more and had a little more plate patience, I think Chase Utley lite would be a fair thing to say.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:28 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I anticipate Robinson Cano having a very strong season, and aside from Upton, he may be the best long-term 2B keeper option in the entire league, as Chase closes in on 30 years of age. If I were in a league that allowed you to keep a player indefinitely, and I were trying to turn the team around, Cano would definitely be my top 2B target.

Utter nonsense. Phillips is light-years ahead of Cano. Sure Cano can hit .300-20-100-100, with maybe 10 or so more HRs at his peak. But Phillips already did that... yeah... and he threw in 30 SBs for good measure. Sure his avg can't compare (at about .275-.285), but do you want .25-.15 points in average or 30 steals? No question here.
In terms of long-term potential, Upton beats Phillips by a small amount with Cano trailing the two. Nothing against Cano, but unless he starts to swipe 20 bags a year, he's not going to match the output of Phillips and Upton in any way.

Side note: I don't by into the Yankee prospect hype. Just because you play for the Yankees doesn't mean you're gonna rock the pants off every fantasy manager. In fact, your value is often over-inflated (see Cano this year). You can grab Kinsler later for better production all around...

- Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers