Potentially Downgrade LeCroy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Potentially Downgrade LeCroy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Potentially Downgrade LeCroy

Postby eli81k » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:12 pm

I know a lot of leagues have Matt LeCroy as catcher eligible (even though he's a liability there in real life and will be the Twins DH on opening day), making him a solid if unspectacular player. But with the Twins giving Mientkiewicz a raise and multi year contract it means either when Morneau (1B) comes up from AAA sometime this season, he'll really cut into LeCroy's at bats as both will split DH duties (Morneau being a lefty and LeCroy a righty), or that Morneau still can't handle breaking stuff and may not reach the majors this season. So, there is a decent chance that down the second half of the season his fantasy production will take a hit based on playing time. Maybe just an ever-so-slight downgrade on your rankings is called for.

Then again, if Morneau plays as people in the Twins organization hope he will, LeCroy could be the odd man out all together. All speculative, but worth considering.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tool069c » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:21 pm

The reason given to sign doug M to a 2year deal, was so that morneau can stay in AAA and work on his fielding at 1B, as he is horrible their. Bringing him to the majors to DH won't help him improve, which is the twins long-term goal, so he can play everyday at 1st in the future...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BXBombers » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:23 pm

Rooting for the Yankees is like...um... rooting for any other team.
The house has to hit at 16, Georgie does whatever he damn pleases.
But I see your point.

Thanks for the Lecroy info.

Craig Wilson, another player whose value took a hit recently.
BXBombers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:25 pm

thanks for the heads up eli.

How does Mauer look?

I think a lot of these questions will answer themselves within the next month or so.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:thanks for the heads up eli.

How does Mauer look?

I think a lot of these questions will answer themselves within the next month or so.

Who's backing up Mauer? He's not gonna be catching all those games.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby tool069c » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:40 pm

ironman wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:thanks for the heads up eli.

How does Mauer look?

Who's backing up Mauer? He's not gonna be catching all those games.

Lecroy caught 22 games last year and did a pretty decent job, so I would assume he gets some playing time there. I heard they had another catcher or 2 in spring training, who arent very good offensively, but good backstops....?...maybe blanco?..not sure,...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Potentially Downgrade LeCroy

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:53 pm

eli81k wrote:I know a lot of leagues have Matt LeCroy as catcher eligible (even though he's a liability there in real life and will be the Twins DH on opening day), making him a solid if unspectacular player. But with the Twins giving Mientkiewicz a raise and multi year contract it means either when Morneau (1B) comes up from AAA sometime this season, he'll really cut into LeCroy's at bats as both will split DH duties (Morneau being a lefty and LeCroy a righty), or that Morneau still can't handle breaking stuff and may not reach the majors this season. So, there is a decent chance that down the second half of the season his fantasy production will take a hit based on playing time. Maybe just an ever-so-slight downgrade on your rankings is called for.

Then again, if Morneau plays as people in the Twins organization hope he will, LeCroy could be the odd man out all together. All speculative, but worth considering.

Excellent points, and the problem for LeCroy becomes worse if they don't trade Jones and they sign a backup catcher. Both C. Wilson and LeCroy have taken big hits in my projections because of playing time issues and I'm debating how much playing time Piazza gets at first, which diminishes Phillips value as well. That's really too bad. A big hit for alert fantasy owners.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mr.Cocky! » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:16 pm

I hope everybody devalues him in my draft, so I can get him late in the draft. Lecroy is batting cleanup for the Twins this season, so he will be the full time DH, when he is not Catching. 500-pluss at bats for him this season=20 or mor HR's, 90RBI's. Not bad for a late round catcher pick.
The best there is, was, or ever will be, it's me!
Mr.Cocky!
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:18 pm

Mr.Cocky! wrote:I hope everybody devalues him in my draft, so I can get him late in the draft. Lecroy is batting cleanup for the Twins this season, so he will be the full time DH, when he is not Catching. 500-pluss at bats for him this season=20 or mor HR's, 90RBI's. Not bad for a late round catcher pick.

Getting any of them late is certainly worth the gamble, but taking any of them early with the idea they're going to get 500 AB's could be problematic. I think that was the point that was made and the point I agreed with.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:55 pm

I can't seee anyone in my league taking him before probably the 16th round or so. I have him as a guy I'm thinking about targeting, but I'm going to be careful. I have also thought about him perhaps not playing full-time again this year. But I don't think it's likely thta he doesn't get at least 450-50 ABs, which would make him pretty valuable. Also thinking about AJ, Hernandez or Martinez. I think I can get anyone of these guys after round 15. Piazza, Lopez, Pudge, Kendall and Posada are sure to be drafted and I also think people will be looking at Lieberthal, Varitek and possibly Barrett and Mauer. That's seven catchers that I'm positive will be on someone's team. We only have a ten team league, so I'm betting that some or all of the guys I want will drop late.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers