Which of the Fat Sluggers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which of the Fat Sluggers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which of the Fat Sluggers?

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:23 pm

My comment was based on the info we know now - worrisome, but nothing solid.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

IDK If I would even call Howard " fat" . That dude is cut as hell for a big guy.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 pm

Very curious as to why people would take Howard over Fielder at this point.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Yoda wrote:Very curious as to why people would take Howard over Fielder at this point.

For me, Howard has a higher power potential. Most of their other stats should be pretty close. I might even have them back to back in my rankings. I think most of the difference is personal preference.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Very curious as to why people would take Howard over Fielder at this point.

For me, Howard has a higher power potential. Most of their other stats should be pretty close. I might even have them back to back in my rankings. I think most of the difference is personal preference.

Fielder had .618 SLG as a 23 yo. Howard was still at A ball at the same age.

Howard is arguably at his peak while Fielder seems to be just starting to peak so I'm not sure if Howard has a definitive power advantage. What concerns me also about Howard is that he broke down a bit health wise. Usually big guys with leg injuries as they get older is not a great sign. I think they are very close in value but would not hesitate to pick Fielder over Howard.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

Howard is arguably at his peak while Fielder seems to be just starting to peak so I'm not sure if Howard has a definitive power advantage. What concerns me also about Howard is that he broke down a bit health wise. Usually big guys with leg injuries as they get older is not a great sign. I think they are very close in value but would not hesitate to pick Fielder over Howard.

I would take Fielder over Howard in a keeper, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fielder outproduced him this year. Howard's quad injury doesn't really bother me since he seemed to be fine in the second half last year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

I'd take Howard this year because he is at his peak....he has the better home ballpark and I feel like I know more of what I am going to get with him. Fielder is still very young and I'm not sure if he's ready to be the stud he's going to be year in and year out yet or if there is still some learning and tweaking he is going to have to deal with throughout the season. Fielder is the better player and will be for many years to come but for this year I feel a little safer taking Howard.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 am

Found an interesting article on Fielder becomin a vegetarian. Maybe that will help him with his weight issues long term.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=720531
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby The Cow » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 am

1. Fielder- I think he is going to have somme beastly seasons

2. Howard- If you want HRs this is your guy, I think his batting AVG bounces back to about .280.

3. Big Papi- All 3 of these guys are very close, I have him at #3 based upon injury concerns, besides someone had to go #3.

Can't go wrong with any of them IMO and all will be drafted at about the same time, so chances are you only get one of these guys. Though maybe with a late 1st early 2nd you can grab 2. Fielder is clearly the top pick in a keeper.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby High Heater » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 am

Prince
Howard
Ortiz for me in a redraft or keeper league. ;-D
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager