Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat

Postby swyck » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:51 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
The Phillies seemed to all be at the maximum you could expect of them in 2007, and they JUST beat an "eh" Mets team. That won't happen this year.

so you think missing chase utley for 6 weeks, howard for 3 (and an additional 3 since he was trying to fight through the injury) myers for over a month, gordon for almost 2 months, madson for 3 months, hamels for a month....all maximum?

Injuries only count for New York and Boston teams. :^
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not trying to penalize the Phillies for playing in Citizens. I feel like I'm being argued against for something I didn't say. However, when comparing the three offenses it's an important factor. If you put the Braves in Citizens last year, they match or exceed Phillies numbers.

Good enough, I don't think there is a real major difference between the offenses either. If I had to take one into battle I would take the Phillies every time, but it isn't a major downgrade to go to the Mets or Braves. I just see fewer question marks across the board with the Phils.

So how comfortable are you that Perez and Hernandez will come close to repeating 07 and not regress back to 05 and 06? I think that is more important than how much Santana and Pedro will help the staff.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Perez is in a contract year, baby! :-D

I'm not really concerned with Perez. He has the skills. Nothing points to regression unless you factor in that he is a head case. I think Peterson did a pretty good job getting Perez's head straight.

El Duque is too old to feel comfortable about, he could be pen bound and he is almost guaranteed to miss time. I don't really agree that he's all that important. The upside to El Duque for the Mets is exciting but the down side is that Pelfrey takes the #5 spot. I don't know whether or not Pelfrey ever fulfills his potential but I am confident that he can be a serviceable #5.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:49 am

Just when you thought this post was dead, Rollins finally fired back with this morsel...

I'm not worried about getting into the playoffs, because that part is accomplished. We're a playoff team now.

:-D

Full quote (April issue of Men's Journal):

That wasn't a one-year thing. It's still gonna ring true in 2008, and every year I'm with the Phillies. We're going to win. It's gonna come down to who wants it more, and we want to win more than the Mets do. Truthfully, I don't worry about anybody in our division, or anybody in our league for that matter. I'm not worried about getting into the playoffs, because that part is accomplished. We're a playoff team now. Our next goal is to win the World Series.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:54 am

Amazinz wrote:Just when you thought this post was dead, Rollins finally fired back with this morsel...

I'm not worried about getting into the playoffs, because that part is accomplished. We're a playoff team now.

:-D

Full quote (April issue of Men's Journal):

That wasn't a one-year thing. It's still gonna ring true in 2008, and every year I'm with the Phillies. We're going to win. It's gonna come down to who wants it more, and we want to win more than the Mets do. Truthfully, I don't worry about anybody in our division, or anybody in our league for that matter. I'm not worried about getting into the playoffs, because that part is accomplished. We're a playoff team now. Our next goal is to win the World Series.

Obviously JRoll thinks teams have two man rotations then. Because Philly goes Hamels - Myers - Cannon fodder.
There is no way they have enough starting pitching at present.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 am

I could care less who wins the division, but hopefully Beltran backs up his statement with an MVP season just like Rollins did. I could use it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:42 am

I'm not sure that either team will win the division. I think it as much the Braves division to lose as anyones.

The Mets could be pretty sad offensively this season if these nagging injuries limit players all year. Their rotation is good but one or two injuries can always turn around a rotation so you never know.

The phillies pitching doesn't excite me, Hamels, pray that Myers holds up and then blech.

The Braves need a young pitcher to step up and an old one to last the season but I think their offense is better than the Mets.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers