Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltran to Rollins: We are the team to beat

Postby RynMan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Apart from the addition of Santana, I'm not so excited about Pedro's return, but more so the emergence of Maine and Perez (well re-emergence in the latter). That's a very solid front 4. Especially if Maine and Perez take another step forward.

I don't know....I just dislike Beltran. Ever since I saw him walk to first on an infield pop-up - Delgado (playing for FLA) dropped the ball intentionally and rolled a double play. That was the year he signed with the Mets for a lot of cash.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:01 pm

Amazinz wrote:The goal of the offense is certainly scoring runs but the home parks are a substantial factor. Look at the Phils, Mets and Braves runs scored on the road last year (442, 437, 433) and at home (450, 367, 377).

I know what you mean but last I checked NY still plays at Shea and Philly still plays at CBP. So nothing has changed really, and if Utley/Howard are healthy this year I think they'll still have the most runs scored.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:The goal of the offense is certainly scoring runs but the home parks are a substantial factor. Look at the Phils, Mets and Braves runs scored on the road last year (442, 437, 433) and at home (450, 367, 377).

:-? i dont see your point. the phillies still scored the most runs last season, and none of the teams really gained or lost much (braves lost andruw, and the phils lost rowand, but the phils will have 2 more months of utley and howard than they did last year). they OBVIOUSLY have the better offense imo, but their pitching is far behind.

to be honest i think the braves arent really worth mentioning here. losing andruw will hurt more than they think (defense), and adding glavine doesnt do much in my opinion. dont get me wrong, if everything goes right for the braves, they'll be in there but i think they're at least a good 5 games behind the phils.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 pm

So no-one is excited about the return of Pedro "The Yankees Are My Daddy" Martinez?

Wow

Looks like I'm the only one. :-°
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:56 pm

AussieDodger wrote:So no-one is excited about the return of Pedro "The Yankees Are My Daddy" Martinez?

Wow

i think pedro can definitely be effective this year, but at the same time, i dont see him holding up and going 7 or 8 innings too often, which in turn will lead to a tired mets bullpen.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:10 am

AussieDodger wrote:So no-one is excited about the return of Pedro "The Yankees Are My Daddy" Martinez?

Wow

Yep, you're the only one. He won't stay healthy, but could turn out to be the playoff ace that they've needed for a while.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 am

The point is is that Philadelphia's offensive numbers are inflated due to the ballpark and that you cannot deduce that the offense is better simply because of runs scored.

Snakes Gould wrote:to be honest i think the braves arent really worth mentioning here. losing andruw will hurt more than they think (defense), and adding glavine doesnt do much in my opinion. dont get me wrong, if everything goes right for the braves, they'll be in there but i think they're at least a good 5 games behind the phils.

I couldn't disagree more. On paper the Phils are the third best team in the division. Barring major injuries to the Mets and Braves, the Mets win this division by double digits and the Braves take 2nd. Whether or not they take the WC depends on how the rest of the league shakes out. I will bump this later this year. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:34 am

Amazinz wrote:Barring major injuries to the Mets and Braves, the Mets win this division by double digits

I concur doctor ;-D

The Mets have added TWO of the best pitchers in baseball to their 2007 line-up, and Carlos Delgado should bounce back a fair way from his atrocious (for him) .781 OPS performance of 2007.

The Phillies have added Pedro Feliz :-P, Lidge as closer :-P (you want to talk about shaky and unreliable Lidge is your man) and by adding Lidge, Myers moves to the rotation. They also added what's left of Geoff Jenkins.

The Phillies seemed to all be at the maximum you could expect of them in 2007, and they JUST beat an "eh" Mets team. That won't happen this year.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby cards05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:25 am

I couldn't disagree more. On paper the Phils are the third best team in the division. Barring major injuries to the Mets and Braves, the Mets win this division by double digits and the Braves take 2nd. Whether or not they take the WC depends on how the rest of the league shakes out. I will bump this later this year.

I agree. Jones wasn't that great in CF by most metrics, so I don't expect his loss to hurt them defensively like a lot are predicting. Also, his offense will be more than replaced by a full season of Tex. If Francour and K. Johnson breakout like I expect them to, the Braves could definitely snag the WC. What sucks for the NL east is that the Phillies and Braves would both have a good shot of winning the Central.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:41 am

AussieDodger wrote:
The Phillies seemed to all be at the maximum you could expect of them in 2007, and they JUST beat an "eh" Mets team. That won't happen this year.

so you think missing chase utley for 6 weeks, howard for 3 (and an additional 3 since he was trying to fight through the injury) myers for over a month, gordon for almost 2 months, madson for 3 months, hamels for a month....all maximum?

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers