Rule 5 players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rule 5 players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rule 5 players

Postby Savoy Special » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Anybody from this list that you feel will have a strong impact in 2008? I don't know much about any of these guys, but I believe they need to spend the season in the big leagues with the team that drafted them.
1 Rays Tim Lahey RHP Twins
2 Pirates Evan Meek RHP Rays
3 Orioles Randor Bierd RHP Tigers
4 Giants Jose Capellan LHP Red Sox
5 Marlins Carlos Guevara RHP Reds
6 Reds Sergio Valenzuela RHP Braves
7 Nationals Matt Whitney 3B Indians
8 Astros Wesley Wright LHP Dodgers
9 Athletics Fernando Hernandez RHP White Sox
10 Cardinals Brian Barton OF Indians
11 Blue Jays Randy Wells RHP Cubs
12 Mariners R.A Dickey RHP Twins
13 Mets Steven Register RHP Rockies
14 Padres Michael Gardner RHP Yankees
15 Phillies Travis Blackley LHP Giants
16 Nationals Garrett Guzman OF Twins
17 Padres Callix Crabbe 2B Brewers
18 Phillies Lincoln Holdzkom RHP Red Sox

Post-draft trades: Rays traded RHP Tim Lahey to Cubs for cash considerations. Marlins traded RHP Carlos Guevara to Padres for cash considerations.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rule 5 players

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:13 pm

Only guy worth monitoring is Brian Barton. If he can be the starting CF for STL, he could potentially post solid numbers.
Fernando Hernandez, and Carlos Guevara could be solid relievers, but not fantasy worthy players.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Only guy worth monitoring is Brian Barton. If he can be the starting CF for STL, he could potentially post solid numbers.

The only way Barton could POSSIBLY see playing time is if Pujols has his surgery and Duncan moves back to 1B from the outfield. And even then, there's plenty of competition for those OF spots.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jfg » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:58 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:Only guy worth monitoring is Brian Barton. If he can be the starting CF for STL, he could potentially post solid numbers.

The only way Barton could POSSIBLY see playing time is if Pujols has his surgery and Duncan moves back to 1B from the outfield. And even then, there's plenty of competition for those OF spots.

He's going to get the opportunity to get some at bats though since he has to stay on the roster and he probably has the best chance of getting a shot an expanded role.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Savoy Special » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:06 am

Can Lahey with the Cubs or Guevera with the Padres have much fantasy impact from their respective bullpens?
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:05 am

Evan Meek should make the pen for the Pirates. I doubt he makes an impact though.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Scoots#5 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:07 am

yep - no johan's, uggla's or josh hamiltons on this list... although - being that i'm an aussie - i'll be keeping a close eye on travis blackley with the phillies - you heard it here first..
All that you do
Do as you might
Things done in halves
Are never done right
Scoots#5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby in10s » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:59 am

I'm in a deep league and always do research on the rule 5 picks looking for late round sleepers. First place to look is baseball america Rule 5 wrap up article at http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/ma ... 65313.html

Some of my thoughts, much from baseball america article above, some from other resource when I did my research back in December:

Position players:
7. Nationals: Matt Whitney, 3b, (Indians) Does have potential, but not ready for majors. Doubt he sticks, but if he does, will probably ride the bench all year, go back down to the minors in 09 and either fade away or have another shot in the bigs in late 09 or 2010.

10. Cardinals: Brian Barton, of, (Indians) Agree strongly with "Another Blown Save" this is the only guy with potential impact in this draft. I'll be watching him this spring. I think based on the spring, St. Louis might leave Rasmus in the minors to start the season to see what Barton can do. Summary of some stuff from baseball america article: "a potential five-tool player, hit .305/.402/.420 with 21 stolen bases in 2007 between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Buffalo. He was considered the consensus best gamble on the board. Most clubs were scared off by concerns about the knee surgery Barton had several weeks before the draft."

16. Nationals: Garrett Guzman, of, (Twins) Long term potential to stick in the majors, but probably maxes out as a fourth OF. Can't see him having any fantasy value.

17. Padres: Callix Crabbe, 2b, (Brewers) Maybe worth watching this spring, but only for potential of cheap steals in a deep, deep league. He tops out as a utility player. After the rule 5 draft there was brief buzz he might start at 2B, but I don't think that was ever really possible, and of course the Pads later signed Tadahito Iguchi.

I'm not going to list all the pitchers. Teams are targeting Rule 5 as Middle Relief Bullpen depth, not a lot of value here. I had originally tagged only four that are even a little bit interesting, all have already been mentioned in this thread.

1. Rays: Tim Lahey, rhp, (Twins) Pick and trade like Hamilton last year, Cubs have him. Converted Catcher, relatively new to pitching, so lightening could strike, but doubtful.

2. Pirates: Evan Meek, rhp, (Rays) chance to stick, but as MR for Pirates? Who cares?

5. Marlins: Carlos Guevara, rhp, (Reds) traded to Padres. In the deepest leagues, might be worth watching because Towers is great using the Rule 5 for the bullpen

19. Phillies: Travis Blackley, lhp, (Giants) Scoots#5 favorite Aussie. Yup, this guy at least has a shot. But it is a long, long shot. Had major surgery a while back, velocity never returned. It still might, but best guess is not. The Phillies say he is a competitor for the No. 5 starter's spot, along with Adam Eaton, Chad Durbin, and now the just added dynamic duo of Kris and Anna Benson. If by some miracle they give the #5 spot to start the season, he might be worth a last round pick in the deepest of deep leagues. But could then give up 10 ER in first outing pitching at the hitters paradise in Philly. Sorry Scoots, but with the injury, the competition, the stadium, the odds just are too long.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:

l
I don't think that is true. Duncan and Ankiel have a spot but after that I think it is pretty open. Barton has a chance to play himself into a job. Plus the Cardinals are short on right handed bats for the OF.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby San D » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Looking at their minor league stats and some "expert" research, I selected Randor Bierd and Fernando Hernandez in the late rounds of my league's minor league draft. I thought the two of them (along with Guevara who was already taken) had the best shot among the middle relievers to contribute good middle relief stats if their teams (Baltimore and Oakland) decide to keep them on the roster.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers