Jack Cust? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jack Cust?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jack Cust?

Postby ninremix » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:01 am

Will Jack Cust be playing in Left Field this year or sharing time with D. Johnson at DH? I liked his HR last year and hoping to use him as a sleeper but only if he gets playing time.
ninremix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jack Cust?

Postby crimson knuckles » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Jack Cust eats carcass to get ready for season
crimson knuckles
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jack Cust?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:45 am

This doesn't really clear things up too much, but hey it's recent info!

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8290047

Jack Cust, Ryan Sweeney among early arrivals at A's training camp
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 02/17/2008 12:36:30 PM PST

PHOENIX—Jack Cust found himself in a unique situation: He came to a big league camp for the first time knowing he had a job. Oakland's designated hitter won't be going unnoticed this time around.

Cust and outfielder Ryan Sweeney arrived at spring training Sunday and took batting practice for the first time.

After hitting 26 home runs and driving in 82 last year in his first extended stay in the lineup, Cust won't have much to do except get ready for the season.

"It feels like home here," said Cust, who started last spring in the San Diego Padres camp. "It's a situation I've never been in and it made it a lot easier to work. I knew I was going to be somewhere I was wanted and didn't have to worry about signing with somebody. This offseason I had the best workouts I've had in my whole life. I was able to do a lot of things and I couldn't be happier."

Cust, who will compete for the DH spot with newly signed Mike Sweeney and time in the outfield, won the hearts of A's fans after hitting eight home runs in his first 13 games with the club last year.

"He put his name on the map," manager Bob Geren said. "He hit a lot of home runs and he was pretty much our best hitter all the way around."

The A's traded for Cust after Mike Piazza was lost to injury in early May.

"We gave him a chance and he earned it," Geren said. "He had nothing to prove in the minors and he never really got a true test in the majors. He has to feel good coming
Advertisement
off the year he had."

Sweeney, who came to the A's as part of the trade that sent Nick Swisher to the Chicago White Sox, made the 21-hour drive from Iowa, arriving a day later than he expected.

"There was a snowstorm in New Mexico and I sat on the freeway for three hours," Sweeney said. "I won't do that again."

Position players are due to report Wednesday, with the first full-squad workout Thursday
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates