Pelfrey & Humbar = Busts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Pelfrey & Humbar = Busts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pelfrey & Humbar = Busts?

Postby ion293 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:53 pm

I know it is still early and both players are still young but I think both of these guys were over hyped and look to be busts. Ive read stuff about Humbar being at best a 4th or 5th starter and Pelfrey not having any kind of breaking pitches still. What do you guys think and where do their ceilings lie?
ion293
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pelfrey & Humbar = Busts?

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Humber always was viewed as a back-end rotation starter and Pelfrey got rocked because he was trying to get big leaguers out with just a fastball after he was forced to dump a great curveball that was instrumental to his college success.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ion293 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Humber always was viewed as a back-end rotation starter and Pelfrey got rocked because he was trying to get big leaguers out with just a fastball after he was forced to dump a great curveball that was instrumental to his college success.

Has he picked up his college curveball again?
ion293
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:02 am

Nah, Peterson wants him to develop a slider.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:25 am

i kinda have to say yes. these guys still have time, but were once pretty highly regarded.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SignGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:36 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Humber always was viewed as a back-end rotation starter and Pelfrey got rocked because he was trying to get big leaguers out with just a fastball after he was forced to dump a great curveball that was instrumental to his college success.

Humber was viewed as a front of the rotation starter which is why he was drafted in the first round. Then he blew out his elbow.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 pm

I have a friend who still has some contacts in the Mets scouting department and apparently they are really high on Pelfrey this year. Because of that I could see Pelfrey developing into something.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:55 pm

SignGuy wrote:

Humber was viewed as a front of the rotation starter which is why he was drafted in the first round. Then he blew out his elbow.

You can't really call a guy a big bust after having Tommy John and no longer having the same stuff, that's expected. It's unfortunate but relatively out of his control compared to so many other starters who get drafted high and never produce at all without any health reasons. I don't really expect any young starter to have TJ and completely regain his form. His 2007 AAA numbers suggest that he's probably best profiled as a #3 type now.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SignGuy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:30 pm

I didnt call him a bust though. I was responding to your comment that he was always viewed a s a back end guy when he was thought as a front end guy before he blew out his elbow
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball