Get Off My Lawn! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Get Off My Lawn!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Get Off My Lawn!

Postby Tavish » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 am

The UK is looking to ban the use of Mosquito devices. Apparently they have never seen A Clockwork Orange and don't understand the trouble that is coming their way. They will have no one to blame but themselves when the next gang of droogs fists them in the yarbles.

Compound Security insists that the device is both safe and legal. Mr Morris said that it operates at 85 decibels, making it lower in volume than the traffic on most high streets, and most teenagers would take quite a while to even notice that an emitter had been switched on. He compares the level of irritation with going downstairs without turning off your alarm clock - "you can ignore it for a couple of minutes but after five minutes it starts to get annoying".

The company says that 75 per cent of its sales have been to police forces and local authorities, who install it in spots where they are keen to prevent gangs of teenagers assembling.

Source

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Get Off My Lawn!

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 am

A wonderful technological crime/trouble deterrent and they want it banned?

The campaign has won the support of human rights groups including Liberty, whose director, Shami Chakrabarti, described it as a "sonic weapon directed against children and young people".

"What type of society uses a low-level sonic weapon on its children? Imagine the outcry if a device was introduced that caused blanket discomfort to people of one race or gender, rather than to our kids," she said.

I wonder if this Shami Chakrabarti moron actually knows the difference between a good idea and a bad idea.

A sonic weapon used against children? I'm getting two installed at my house at Halloween. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 pm

yarbles... :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Read a bit thread about them. Can't remember if it was here or the football side, but it's certainly an interesting device. Didn't appear harmful to anyone in any way, yet did the job it was supposed to do. Thought that was cool. ;-D

And no surprise someone's whining about them. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:59 pm

wow this is super ironic considering i never heard anything about this device or the theory/condition that people start losing their high frequency hearing when they turn 20 until 2 nights ago when i was watching an old episode of law and order, and a few people had the super high frequency as a ring tone. weird stuff.

i think if you really have that big a problem with younger people loitering outside your business, something should have been done long ago, but i guess if you need to use this device, i dont see why you couldnt. but what about the people walking by? i would assume you could affect your business by people avoiding walking by your store.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 am

This reminded me of when my grandmother wanted to keep the bugzapper on overnight at our Pocono house because that would mean less bugs in the morning. Mathematically speaking, I suppose that she was right. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 am

Snakes Gould wrote:wow this is super ironic considering i never heard anything about this device or the theory/condition that people start losing their high frequency hearing when they turn 20 until 2 nights ago when i was watching an old episode of law and order, and a few people had the super high frequency as a ring tone. weird stuff.

I remember that episode. I never understood why, if the girl didn't adults to hear her phone ring why she didn't simply put it on vibrate.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 am

thedude wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:wow this is super ironic considering i never heard anything about this device or the theory/condition that people start losing their high frequency hearing when they turn 20 until 2 nights ago when i was watching an old episode of law and order, and a few people had the super high frequency as a ring tone. weird stuff.

I remember that episode. I never understood why, if the girl didn't adults to hear her phone ring why she didn't simply put it on vibrate.

agreed, but i guess you can still technically hear vibrating sometimes?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk