Leiter on Alex's Restructuring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leiter on Alex's Restructuring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Leiter on Alex's Restructuring

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:30 am

Interesting thoughts from another player.

Mets' pitcher Al Leiter, a member of the executive board of the players association, which approved this deal but not the one with the Red Sox, told the Star-Ledger (N.J.) he was skeptical about how the deal was ultimately approved.

"I don't see how it's a financial gain for a player to get a (hotel) suite on the road," Leiter told the paper, referring to the clause guaranteeing Rodriguez a hotel suite on the road and permission to link his Web site to the Yankees'.

"I don't see where that's a big deal at all," Leiter told the Star-Ledger. "I mean, there was a point where we had about eight guys on the team with suites. That costs a team about $16,000. And the Web site portal? I've had my 'Leiter's Landing' portaled to the Mets Web site at times. That's all run by MLB anyway. I don't get it.

"It's laughable to say that that constitutes a significant financial gain for him. It's comical.

"I find it curious that this was a deal that somehow only the Yankees could get done," Leiter added.

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:31 am

:,-( Cry me a river Al.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Leiter on Alex's Restructuring

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:33 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Interesting thoughts from another player.

Mets' pitcher Al Leiter, a member of the executive board of the players association, which approved this deal but not the one with the Red Sox, told the Star-Ledger (N.J.) he was skeptical about how the deal was ultimately approved.

"I don't see how it's a financial gain for a player to get a (hotel) suite on the road," Leiter told the paper, referring to the clause guaranteeing Rodriguez a hotel suite on the road and permission to link his Web site to the Yankees'.

"I don't see where that's a big deal at all," Leiter told the Star-Ledger. "I mean, there was a point where we had about eight guys on the team with suites. That costs a team about $16,000. And the Web site portal? I've had my 'Leiter's Landing' portaled to the Mets Web site at times. That's all run by MLB anyway. I don't get it.

"It's laughable to say that that constitutes a significant financial gain for him. It's comical.

"I find it curious that this was a deal that somehow only the Yankees could get done," Leiter added.

uh..how many hits do you think the Mets' website gets versus the Yankees? Besides..maybe he gets the "Penthouse Suite" where ever they stay! Either way the Bosox had the opportunity to get A-rod and they didn't want to fork over the cash. It's a common case of Supply and Demand and if anyone is to blame it's the Red Sox not the League.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:38 am

that is the biggest problem with the mets. they are so worried about the yankees that they fail to realize they had one of the top 3 highest payrolls last year and still finished in the basement. its this inferiority complex that makes the mets what they are, a second rate franchise.

mets fans are actually pretty good fans, but the attitude of the organization has got to be frustrating. offer vlad a lowball deal when they easily could have had him, then sign karim garica, shane spencer and ricky botallico. :-t
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers