Molina ready to bat cleanup for Giants in Bonds' old spot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Molina ready to bat cleanup for Giants in Bonds' old spot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Molina ready to bat cleanup for Giants in Bonds' old spot

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm

AussieDodger wrote:How many games did he lose 1-0? aarrrghhhh :-t :-D

Hey man, you just read the box scores. I had to actually watch all that misery. :-P
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Cain and Lincecum know the Giants are rebuilding. They know it'll take a year or two, which is good because that's about how much time they need to hone their skills and become elite SPs. The Giants will work it all out in the end, I have faith. But this season will be absolutely grueling... agh.

In terms of Cs, this has got to boost Molina up a spot or two. Hitting cleanup as opposed to the usual 8-spot should provide him with 'ample' RBI opportunities: R Davis is quick as all hell, Winn is serviceable on the basepaths, etc... I'd slot him in for another 80+ RBIs this year. Thoughts?

- Monkey

Are we really talking Bengie Molina? Thats my thought.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:46 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Cain and Lincecum know the Giants are rebuilding. They know it'll take a year or two, which is good because that's about how much time they need to hone their skills and become elite SPs. The Giants will work it all out in the end, I have faith. But this season will be absolutely grueling... agh.

In terms of Cs, this has got to boost Molina up a spot or two. Hitting cleanup as opposed to the usual 8-spot should provide him with 'ample' RBI opportunities: R Davis is quick as all hell, Winn is serviceable on the basepaths, etc... I'd slot him in for another 80+ RBIs this year. Thoughts?

- Monkey

Do the Giants have a lot of offensive talent in the high-minors? How are they going to get better on offense in the next few years? Their current lineup is REALLY old. Davis, Lewis, and Frandsen don't look like they will develop into too much. This is a team that needs 2-3 young studs in their lineup that they can build around so they can bring in some veteran talent to put around them.

Molina is not a bad catcher to have, but he's not moving up from the 8th spot to the 4th. Almost all of his at-bats last year were out of the 5th and 6th spots in the lineup. Interesting that he had 500 ABs last year - pretty high number. He is turning 34 this year though and last year was a career year (except he only scored 38 runs 8-o )... I can't see him duplicating last season.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Do the Giants have a lot of offensive talent in the high-minors? How are they going to get better on offense in the next few years? Their current lineup is REALLY old. Davis, Lewis, and Frandsen don't look like they will develop into too much. This is a team that needs 2-3 young studs in their lineup that they can build around so they can bring in some veteran talent to put around them.

They can just sign more Aaron Rowand's and they will be fine. sarcasm alert

This lineup is going to be terrible offensively this year. And probably next year also. And the next year...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby KronJon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Old news.. I had already bumped his value since just about every depth chart out there already said he would be cleanup. Fear the Giants.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 pm

It's hard for Cain and Lincecum to recognize that the Giants are rebuilding when they wasted so much money on Aaron Rowand and a pretty exorbitant amount of money on their #3 starter. :*)
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Field » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:22 pm

Who's setting the O/U for Molina's run total for the season? I wonder what the lowest run total from a team's clean-up hitter in the last 20 years? - that would actually be an interesting stat for ESPN's final number segment.

Man, I'd love to see something ridiculously low. 38 runs last year :-° :-D . San Fran is going to be absolutely terrible on offense, a fantasy wasteland. One positive for Cain/Lince is that atleast their outfield defense will be better without Bonds stumbling around.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby quicksilver8 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:24 pm

If you are in a league that uses batting average, then you could do worse than own Molina...as long as you get him pretty darn cheap. I mean, really, how much are you really asking for out of your catcher? In my league we use on base %...so he is sketchy and require a team that owns him to also own a super huge on base guy (wright, chipper, helton, etc)....
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colt4523 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:19 am

That Giant's lineup is going to scare me away from Cain and Lincecum. Playing in leagues that give -5 points for losses is a kick in the nuts. I had both Cain and Lincecum in one league and I do not think I can go through another year watching that offense suck. Anyone else bumping these two down on their rankings because of what should be an anemic offense?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Broncmet724 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Got him as my Catcher with the last pick in my roto draft. Pretty happy with it
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager