If Maddux signs... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Maddux signs...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If Maddux signs...

Postby Danimal » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 am

I really have to think that if Maddux does sign with the Yankees, the commish will step in. Obviously, the tax means nothing. I could see the commish at least raising the issue in terms of protecting The Game.
I just picked up Maddux last week in a new league, and he'd be great to have in pinstripes from a fantasy perspective, but this development (should it occur) makes me ill.
:-t
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:14 am

I don't think Bud Selig will do anything because his daughter's team is getting a nice kick for her Brewer's complements of "The Boss". As far as Salary goes I think Texas' salary is gonna be around $150 million this year isn't it? But no one is complaining that about them.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Yea, but

Postby Danimal » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 am

You might be right, but where does baseball draw the line?
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Yea, but

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:26 am

Danimal wrote:You might be right, but where does baseball draw the line?

I guess when the fans stop coming to the games in disgust or stop watching it on TV. As long as everyone is making money I don't think they will do anything about it.

The small market owners don't mind their teams losing 80-90 games a year because they know they'll get a nice kick back from the league and from taxes and they can add it to their bottom line. Maybe if they made the owners pour the money back into payroll then we could see a turn around.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Re: Yea, but

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:32 am

trevisc wrote:
Danimal wrote:You might be right, but where does baseball draw the line?

I guess when the fans stop coming to the games in disgust or stop watching it on TV. As long as everyone is making money I don't think they will do anything about it.

The small market owners don't mind their teams losing 80-90 games a year because they know they'll get a nice kick back from the league and from taxes and they can add it to their bottom line. Maybe if they made the owners pour the money back into payroll then we could see a turn around.

i totally agree. its getting tougher by the day to defend the yankees, but the rest of MLB is doing nothing to stop it. dont let the term "small market team" fool you. some markets are not totally capable of funding a huge payroll, but some owners are just plain greedy. the Tigers opened up the walet this offseason, but they should never have gotten this bad in the first place. the fact is, their owner also owns the Detroit Redwings, and he has neglected the tigers in his quest to win stanley cups.

markets like oakland, detroit, and kansas city should be able to field a competitve team with a modest-high payroll. it is a combination of unsupportive fans and frugal owners that cause them to lose their players.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers