OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 am

Guys, there's a post on this down a bit, with several pages of comments. Always check to see if there's one out there--nine times out of ten, someone beat you. :-°
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 am

What's Maddux going to be? Backup RH Long Reliever? They have no need for him, they already have five starters.

The Empire Strikes Back. Again.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slowkidz » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 am

yeyo44 wrote:He did fine, I feel he had a horrible 1st half. I was just wondering why would you draft him this year more than last year, when he had a great offense any way.

I would've drafted him last year too...I'm just thinking there could be worse places for him to pitch this year, but if he goes to NY, then he'd be moving a lil higher up on my list.
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guestimator » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 am

I too am a Pirates fan...but it just makes no sense for us to sign a Vlad when there is no one else on the team to provide support for him. Our plan is to develop a minor league system (starting to happen - I think four of the five Pirates minor league teams went to the playoffs last year), get those players up to the majors and THEN add one or two big names as a FA.

Personally, I love to hate the Yankees so I hope they keep it up. The minute Steinbrenner leaves and the team is mediocre, I will lose some interest in baseball. As of right now, my excitement level for the season is very high, purely because I want to see teams beat the Yankees. It is so much more satisfying watching the Yankees lose when they have it all...
Guestimator

Friendliness: %

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:12 am

trevisc wrote:
yeyo44 wrote:He had a good offense behind him last year!!!

I personally think Maddux had a good year last year if you look at the average ERA in the National League.

he'll go from getting 4 or 5 runs a game to 7 or 8 runs a game. I'd say he's a prime candidate for 18+ wins even if his era is 4.xx
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:13 am

How is this fair that the Yankees can do this and my pirates don't have two pennies to rub together

It's not the Yankees fault that the Pirates' owner doesn't spend much money. Heck, he probably will stick all that luxury tax money that he gets from George in his own pocket. :-t

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:18 am

not just the pirates do that....the brewers, the reds, the marlins, the tigers, the expos and almost every other team that floats at the bottom of their division. if every team had george steinbrenner as it's owner we wouldn't have this problem at all.

it is more likely that contreras would be long reliever like he did some of last season or they will trade him for a 2nd baseman like vidro.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:29 am

Anonymous wrote:
How is this fair that the Yankees can do this and my pirates don't have two pennies to rub together

It's not the Yankees fault that the Pirates' owner doesn't spend much money. Heck, he probably will stick all that luxury tax money that he gets from George in his own pocket. :-t

Well, last year the Pirates lost money on a 50 million dollar payroll, and the Yanks made money on a payroll almost 4 times as large. So, the problem is not exactly that the Pirates don't spend a ton of money also, it is that they don't have any money to spend. Pittsburgh is not even ranked in the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the US - they are CLEARLY a small market team. I am sure if they turned a profit, they would spend the money...

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:02 pm

ajgdrummer7 wrote:not just the pirates do that....the brewers, the reds, the marlins, the tigers, the expos and almost every other team that floats at the bottom of their division. if every team had george steinbrenner as it's owner we wouldn't have this problem at all.

You got to live in the real world. Put George in TB, or Pittsburgh or Montreal, and i guarantee you he wouldn't be spending 185 mil a year. There is no way certain teams will ever have a 80 mil payroll. It's just not feasible.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers