OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES?

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:17 am

While Yankees GM Brian Cashman refuted rumors that the team was close to signing Maddux, according to the team's official site, both WABC-TV and the Bergen Record have reported that Maddux will sign with the Yankees later this week, according to ESPN.com.

Stay tuned as it's possible that the rich get richer and the Yankees approach a $200 million payroll.

I officially hate MLB now!!! How is this fair that the Yankees can do this and my pirates don't have two pennies to rub together
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

To add to this:

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:22 am

SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: OH MY GOD!! MADDUX GOING TO THE YANKEES?

Postby swarmee » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:13 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I officially hate MLB now!!! How is this fair that the Yankees can do this and my pirates don't have two pennies to rub together

The Yankees can do this because their fan base buys their merchandise, and makes sure to get YES! network added to their cable/dish providers. If the Pirate fans did the same, the stars and the winning would come.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:24 am

A Major League Baseball source told the Bergen Record that the Yankees were moving closer to signing the free-agent pitcher, who turned the Yankees down in the winter of 1992 before signing with the Braves.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, though, shot down the report during Monday's conference call with reporters announcing the Alex Rodriguez deal.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said.

Maddux, who like Rodriguez is represented by agent Scott Boras, reportedly turned down a multi-year offer from the San Francisco Giants over the weekend. And the Chicago Cubs have raised their initial offer to Maddux of $10 million over two years, which was made Jan. 13. Details of the increase were not disclosed.

"I'd like to get something done, make my decision by the middle of next week, since most camps are opening," Maddux said recently. "But even if it's a few days after that, or even a week after that, I don't see it as a big deal. Spring Training is two weeks too long as it is. I've done my work all winter. I think after 20 years in pro ball I know how to get myself ready for a season."
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:41 am

Before I make my comment I want you to know that I am a Mets fan. But i am going to defend the Yanks here. They have a owner who cares about winning, so he will spend the money he needs too, so this happens!!! Bottom Line!!! If the pirates or reds or brewers for once decided to spend money maybe more fans would come and that would increase revenue. I'm sorry your not going to get people to come to see the pirates with Raul Mondesi as your big signing. I don't know.. maybe they should have spent some money on Vlad and Millwood or something.. that would have been a start. Don't hate baseball or the Yanks cause they have a comiment for winning. Besides making money, the winning tradition make other players want to go there.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:47 am

The problem isn't the yankees it's the players who are willing to sell themselves out for money. can you really blame them though? why not get 50 or 60 million for a few years of work? I would move to New York for 3 years if it meant I wouldn't have to work another day for the rest of my life. Who wouldn't.

As far as Maddux goes. If he goes to the Yankees then i'll be drafting him.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slowkidz » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:57 am

I have to agree. He'd become a very intriguing option with that offense behind him. :-?
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:01 am

He had a good offense behind him last year!!!
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:02 am

yeyo44 wrote:He had a good offense behind him last year!!!

I personally think Maddux had a good year last year if you look at the average ERA in the National League.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:05 am

He did fine, I feel he had a horrible 1st half. I was just wondering why would you draft him this year more than last year, when he had a great offense any way.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers