Pujols Contemplating TJ Surgery? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols Contemplating TJ Surgery?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols Contemplating TJ Surgery?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 pm

If Pujols goes down there is no reason to trade for a 1B cause the season is over. Duncan could fill in at 1B but I'd rather him stay in LF and work on his defense. Phelps is the most likely replacement.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby visgc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:22 pm

GM JM:

Q: What's the extent of Albert Pujols' injury situation, particularly his elbow?

A: Obviously, right when the season ended, he took some time off. Then during one of his workouts he felt some discomfort. I think both our doctors and other professionals felt that, as long as he did his due diligence and maintained his pregame preparation, he should be OK.

Q: What are the expectations of Pujols now?

A: One of the things that�s a way to look at our club positively is we never really had anybody have a career year last year.

When you look at it in terms of what we can expect of players, a guy like Pujols, if he trends back to where he was in past years, that�s obviously a big plus for us. But even the year he had, he still had a great year. I think there are lot of guys out there that have some potential for some upside, and that�s what makes it exciting for us.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 002/SPORTS
visgc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rhydderch » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:13 pm

I realize this is all speculation, but what is the timeline for a position player returning from TJ. Anyone know how long it would be before he could start swing a bat, playing the field, etc. I'm sure so position player has had TJ before.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 pm

I wouldn't expect their FO to show any real concern until they are finished selling all of their season tickets. Who would want to buy their season tickets if they said they expected Pujols to not make it through the season?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:04 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I wouldn't expect their FO to show any real concern until they are finished selling all of their season tickets. Who would want to buy their season tickets if they said they expected Pujols to not make it through the season?

agreed but again, everyone seems to think that this radio personality has some inside information, rather than it just being a side comment that sports talkers generally stretch to say.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:52 pm

My team is primed to win it now in my keeper, I don't know whether to try and trade him at 75 cent on the dollar now, or just keep my fingers crossed and put him on the DL for the year if need be... :-[
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 pm

When my new rankings come out sometime in the next couple days...you'll see I have Pujols #4 in my firstbasemen rankings...I'm high enough on the other big 3 that I don't want anything to do with Pujols THIS year. The last thing I want to do is worry about my first round pick all year long. Like the good 'ol saying goes.....You're first round pick won't likely win you anything but if that pick flops(injury) then it can go a good long way to helping you lose. Just no reason to take the risk, IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Drdobs » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 am

J35J wrote:When my new rankings come out sometime in the next couple days...you'll see I have Pujols #4 in my firstbasemen rankings...I'm high enough on the other big 3 that I don't want anything to do with Pujols THIS year. The last thing I want to do is worry about my first round pick all year long. Like the good 'ol saying goes.....You're first round pick won't likely win you anything but if that pick flops(injury) then it can go a good long way to helping you lose. Just no reason to take the risk, IMHO.

I completely second this post. 1st Round Picks are picks where you need to get an injury free "normal" season out of the guy you draft. Nothing about these Pujols issues gives me confidence that he's likely to remain healthy all year. He HAS been quoted as saying that he won't play through pain as he did last year. That's worrysome enough to avoid. I simply don't even look at him at this point in the first round at all because I know somebody else will definately pay the 1st round price.
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Per Rotoworld.com on 2/16:

The Cardinals plan to be cautious with Albert Pujols' balky elbow this spring, keeping a close eye on how hard he throws the ball.

"We'll definitely monitor it," Manager Tony La Russa said Saturday. "Talking to the trainers this morning one of the biggest issues will be throwing so we'll be on the careful side of really firing it. He could make a swing that could tweak it, too. It's one of those deals." Pujols said it didn't make sense to have a procedure to clean up the elbow, because the problem is related to the ligament. "If it blows out it's going to blow out," said a blase sounding Pujols.

His owners, risking a mid first round pick on him, can't afford to be that blase.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:10 pm

pokerplaya wrote:My team is primed to win it now in my keeper, I don't know whether to try and trade him at 75 cent on the dollar now, or just keep my fingers crossed and put him on the DL for the year if need be... :-[

In a keeper, I'd advise hanging on to him. He might be fine this year, and for the future, it's definitley worth it.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers