no max IP leagues - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

no max IP leagues

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

no max IP leagues

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:31 am

so i was looking for a league to play in and i found a couple, but later found out it has a no max IP in the rules which has prevented me from joining it. however, it's a weekly lineup (which i have never tried) so the streaming will be checked in a way. still, i just have something that bothers me about the no max IP, maybe theres another way to exploit or just the fact that a manager with great pitchers might have no chance to win Wins and Ks just because someone will find a way to make a crazy # of starts.

does the fact that it's a weekly lineup make no max IP okay? or is not having max IP asking for trouble? how do you guys feel about this? this is a 5x5 roto, btw.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: no max IP leagues

Postby mak1277 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 am

The fact that it's a weekly league *should* keep streaming in check. There is always some opportunity for guys to load up on "two-start" pitchers in a given week, but there are a limited number of those anyway. Plus, since it's a weekly league, you have to make a choice between a two-start guy and one of your regular starters, so there's more of a sacrifice from a quality standpoint than what you'd see in a daily league (where you can stream but STILL start all of your aces when they pitch).

Don't give up on the league if you otherwise like it...this won't be a huge problem I don't think.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 am

My main league is weekly and has no IP limit.

You have to maximize the innings from your staff every week to compete in counting stats, mostly Ks, but you can't really pile on the innings without risking ratios. It works for us. It should not be a dealbreaker.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Third Day » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

Watch for two start pitchers. I've had good success at CBS in weekly change leagues reserving my last two or three pitching spots for two start pitchers.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby zig zag daddy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:so i was looking for a league to play in and i found a couple, but later found out it has a no max IP in the rules which has prevented me from joining it. however, it's a weekly lineup (which i have never tried) so the streaming will be checked in a way. still, i just have something that bothers me about the no max IP, maybe theres another way to exploit or just the fact that a manager with great pitchers might have no chance to win Wins and Ks just because someone will find a way to make a crazy # of starts.

does the fact that it's a weekly lineup make no max IP okay? or is not having max IP asking for trouble? how do you guys feel about this? this is a 5x5 roto, btw.

If your shuffling in 2 start pitchers to max out K's and W's then your going to hurt your era and whip a lot more than you're going to help W's and K's.

I think when you have less restrictions you can manage your team in different ways. When people start to over manage their teams, they usually hurt them.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Third Day wrote:Watch for two start pitchers. I've had good success at CBS in weekly change leagues reserving my last two or three pitching spots for two start pitchers.

yeah but is that really necessary in roto? in H2H yes, but in roto i don't really care about getting in 2 starts in a week from one pitcher.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Third Day wrote:Watch for two start pitchers. I've had good success at CBS in weekly change leagues reserving my last two or three pitching spots for two start pitchers.

yeah but is that really necessary in roto? in H2H yes, but in roto i don't really care about getting in 2 starts in a week from one pitcher.

But with no innings limit, getting in that extra 6-12 innings a week can make a big difference in your K and W totals, provided you pick the right starters.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby roninmedia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Play like you normally would, although you can be more liberal with match-ups since there isn't a innings limit to maximize efficiency. You will also need to plan more in advance since you can't get in all of your pitching starts for that week depending on your bench. In this league, I also see elite middle relievers taking a damper in value.

Streaming will be checked by the fact that line-ups are set on a weekly basis and any person who tries to take the two-start will more likely than not hurt themselves in ERA and WHIP with a small uptick in actually getting any more wins that for that particular week than a quality one start pitcher. The only category is in K's. You can milk wins and K's later but it's very difficult to get those ratio stats back down.

Closers will always be in when healthy.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers