Top SP sleepers coming into 2008... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top SP sleepers coming into 2008...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top SP sleepers coming into 2008...

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 pm

superslugger616 wrote:Gavin Floyd has the #3 rotation spot for the White Sox and has substantially improved. He's likely on everybody's waiver wire, and has the potential to have an ERA around 4 with high strikeouts. Ozzie Guillen was quoted saying ""Gavin Floyd has the stuff to be the No. 2 pitcher. Hopefully not too far away he can be a No. 1. But he has good enough stuff to be one of those guys." He's well worth a speculative late round flier.

BigHort got me looking at him and while I think he's the #5 behind Contreras and Danks, I agree with you. He's a risky pick no doubt, but later in a draft he has great upside. He was kind of shaky last year, but over the season his K/BB increased while his ERA/Whip decreased. For pretty much dirt cheap I say he's worth the risk.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carey Saders » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Any thoughts on Ubaldo Jimenez?
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Mugrila wrote:
superslugger616 wrote:Gavin Floyd has the #3 rotation spot for the White Sox and has substantially improved. He's likely on everybody's waiver wire, and has the potential to have an ERA around 4 with high strikeouts. Ozzie Guillen was quoted saying ""Gavin Floyd has the stuff to be the No. 2 pitcher. Hopefully not too far away he can be a No. 1. But he has good enough stuff to be one of those guys." He's well worth a speculative late round flier.

BigHort got me looking at him and while I think he's the #5 behind Contreras and Danks, I agree with you. He's a risky pick no doubt, but later in a draft he has great upside. He was kind of shaky last year, but over the season his K/BB increased while his ERA/Whip decreased. For pretty much dirt cheap I say he's worth the risk.

ugh. not for me...he is so soft mentally (crying in the dugout after allowing runs) that i dont think i could ever fathom touching him. his stuff has always been good, but i dont think hes tough enough.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mugrila » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:20 am

Snakes Gould wrote:ugh. not for me...he is so soft mentally (crying in the dugout after allowing runs) that i dont think i could ever fathom touching him. his stuff has always been good, but i dont think hes tough enough.

Bad memories huh? :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:25 am

Mugrila wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:ugh. not for me...he is so soft mentally (crying in the dugout after allowing runs) that i dont think i could ever fathom touching him. his stuff has always been good, but i dont think hes tough enough.

Bad memories huh? :-D

yes. i had high expectations for the kid.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Cow » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 pm

Another outstanding performance by Edison Volquez of the Reds 5 IPs 3H O ER 1 BB and 6 Ks. That gives Volquez on the Spring 13 IPs 19 Ks 3 BBs and a 3.46 ERA. 19 Ks to 3 walks thats nice! I know its Spring, but as a late round flier you could do much worse. Volquez and Cueto appear to be sneaking into the Reds rotation. Harang, Arroyo, Fogg, Cueto and Volquez look to be the front runners over Belisle, Bailey and Affeldt. Grab Volquez and Cueto they are both solid, solid sleepers. Not a whole lot of talk of Volquez on this board, but I think after todays performance that will change.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm

The Cow wrote:Another outstanding performance by Edison Volquez of the Reds 5 IPs 3H O ER 1 BB and 6 Ks. That gives Volquez on the Spring 13 IPs 19 Ks 3 BBs and a 3.46 ERA. 19 Ks to 3 walks thats nice! I know its Spring, but as a late round flier you could do much worse. Volquez and Cueto appear to be sneaking into the Reds rotation. Harang, Arroyo, Fogg, Cueto and Volquez look to be the front runners over Belisle, Bailey and Affeldt. Grab Volquez and Cueto they are both solid, solid sleepers. Not a whole lot of talk of Volquez on this board, but I think after todays performance that will change.

The Cow

He's been one of my sleeper picks all pre-season, so I've defiantly been taking notice. Some of the arms I like this year are Volquez, Parra, Floyd, and Jurrjens. All are guys that will practically cost you next to nothing as you can probably pick them up as a FA depending on league size.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby yaboygino » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm

I really like Brandon Backe!!!
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kcs261 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:16 am

He's old, but Matt Clement might be worth a late round, back of the rotation flier.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 am

Carey Saders wrote:Any thoughts on Ubaldo Jimenez?

oh Ubaldo, how cool your name is.

I don't expect him to contribute as much more than a back of the fantasy rotation guy this year. He has great talent, but I'd give him another year before he is worth having around.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers