Yahoo Gonna Charge This Year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Gonna Charge This Year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Gonna Charge This Year?

Postby jonnyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:31 am

Yahoo has been taking away extras every year. Anyone think they are gonna start charging for a league this year? (remember buzz index, stattracker?)
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby shortsavage » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:52 am

If Yahoo starts charging, the Cafe will go out of business :-/.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby denvermax » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:56 am

id say im about 95% sure that Yahoo wouldnt charge. they make some money off of stat tracker, all the advertising, and their "plus" edition of fantasy baseball already and they know they get tons of people to play their fantasy baseball cause it is the only free provider on the web.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Yahoo Gonna Charge This Year?

Postby xeifrank » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:29 am

jonnyblack wrote:Yahoo has been taking away extras every year. Anyone think they are gonna start charging for a league this year? (remember buzz index, stattracker?)

Yahoo does charge. The have pay leagues and free leagues, the pay leagues have more bells and whistles. That's probably the way it should be. They didn't charge for football, basketball, but did offer pay leagues with all the bells and whistles.

I am expecting the same thing, both pay and free leagues. They did add a nice thing in the free fantasy football leagues, by implementing their "Cannot Cut" list. A list of 100 top players that can't be cut, this keeps teams from dumping their best players. Problem is, that they didn't update this list and players who were top 100 at the beginning of the year were no longer top 100 later in the year and dropping them wouldn't have been considered dumping, but you were stuck with them.

Here's to Free fantasy baseball forever!

vr,

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rage » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:44 am

Even if they went pay, it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you play in a 12 team league, $120 divided by 12 comes to 10 bucks a friggen head...that's not an insurmountable hunk of cash to pay for a season of fun...
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:52 am

Rage wrote:Even if they went pay, it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you play in a 12 team league, $120 divided by 12 comes to 10 bucks a friggen head...that's not an insurmountable hunk of cash to pay for a season of fun...

Exactly ;-D ;-D ;-D
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rage » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:03 am

It just gets me to hear people whine about paying to play fantasy baseball. First off, I enjoy it a TON more if it's a money league because atleast you are playing for something tangible, like a cash prize. What fun is it to do days of research to win a league that means nothing???

To each their own, I guess....I play in 10-12 leagues, 1 free keeper with buddies, 1 $100 keeper, 1 $50 league, 2 sandboxplus leagues, and a zillion free yahoo leagues just to use as draft practice for my money leagues.
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Yahoo Gonna Charge This Year?

Postby Casimir » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:24 am

xeifrank wrote:I am expecting the same thing, both pay and free leagues. They did add a nice thing in the free fantasy football leagues, by implementing their "Cannot Cut" list. A list of 100 top players that can't be cut, this keeps teams from dumping their best players. Problem is, that they didn't update this list and players who were top 100 at the beginning of the year were no longer top 100 later in the year and dropping them wouldn't have been considered dumping, but you were stuck with them.

The Cannot Cut list stunk for those of us who had McNabb for the exact reason you mentioned --- it wasn't updated properly. :-/
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby unclepaulie » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:04 am

Dude you have to find a new hat for your Prior avatar. That mess looks silly, he's getting ate up by that gigantic thing!!!!!
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby DK » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:11 am

unclepaulie wrote:Dude you have to find a new hat for your Prior avatar. That mess looks silly, he's getting ate up by that gigantic thing!!!!!

Do you like mine? :-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers