TWINS sign livan hernandez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TWINS sign livan hernandez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TWINS sign livan hernandez

Postby jfg » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:They could just be signing him in the hopes of dealing him around the break for some low level prospect to a contender that suffered an injury and needs an innings eater at the back of their rotation. Teams would probably take him for a stretch run.

I kind of agree with that thought. But, also I think he's a good veteran guy to place in the rotation. Other than Perkins I don't think that anybody is even close to ready to pitch 180 MLB innings. Perkins is close but I wouldn't give 180 innings to him either. I don't mind the signing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:25 am

abrage22 wrote:yeah idk if i want him pitching a bunch of our innings, speccially when we have a pretty good bullpen

it goes hand in hand. a bullpen usually stays good by the starters pitching a lot of innings.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dooz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:57 am

jfg wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:They could just be signing him in the hopes of dealing him around the break for some low level prospect to a contender that suffered an injury and needs an innings eater at the back of their rotation. Teams would probably take him for a stretch run.

I kind of agree with that thought. But, also I think he's a good veteran guy to place in the rotation. Other than Perkins I don't think that anybody is even close to ready to pitch 180 MLB innings. Perkins is close but I wouldn't give 180 innings to him either. I don't mind the signing.

Is Perkins looking at some starts this year? I'd love to see him get 180 innings.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jfg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:12 am

Not anymore. I don't think Perkins would be consistent enough to put get 180 innings but without Livan he probably would have got them. They needed a guy who could fill Silva's role and I don't think any of the young guys could have been that pitcher. I think people have the wrong idea about the Twins. They aren't in rebuilding mode, they have a good lineup and are hoping that their pitching pans out. I don't think they can contend but they aren't going to be terrible and they will be a contender in a few years if not sooner. ESPN played it like Livan was filling Santana's spot but thats stupid. He's filling the spot Silva left behind and they're hoping Liriano can come close to Santana.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby The Thrill » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:59 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:I just don't get it. The Twins have a littany of 4th and 5th starters on their roster, all of whom are younger and cheaper and desperately need MLB experience. Rather than give them a shot, we sign another declining veteran who can block their paths. At least Livan will chew up innings and save the arms of our bullpen, but that's about the only positive thing I can say. I've come to expect this type of move from the Twins, and their reliance on veterans who are going to take them nowhere would be my one scathing criticism of Twins management.

It's double-edged sword though. You put the young guys out there who are likely not going to burn up the innings like Livan, and your bullpen performance eventually gets overworked and suffers. If the Twins want to go anywhere this season, they're going to have to rely on a solid, healthy bullpen and a guy like Livan can help in that regard.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:36 pm

The Livan signing is not a good one by the Twins, but it's not without it's merits. I doubt he'll pitch well though. And I think I'll adopt Livan as my 2nd least favorite Twin (Monroe would be 1st). But maybe Livan surprises everyone and throws a solid 4.5 ERA this season and allows the Twins to sort out the rest of their SP. It should be noted that Livan is also moving from a hitters park to a slight pitchers (maybe neutral) park. That could cancel out most the NL to AL effect.

Every pitcher in the Twins rotation is questionable heading into the season.

Baker is the most reliable. Hopefully he pitches like '07, but he was a disaster in '06.
BOOF! might turn things around, but he imploded spectacularly in '07. I'm bullish on him this season though.
Liriano should be healthy, but even then he might need 1-2 months in AAA to build up strength. I'm expecting him to begin the season in the Twins rotation, but that's not a gaurantee. But the early reports have been encouraging.
Slowey should be a solid starter, but he hasn't proven that yet.
Perkins had < 50 IP last season. More than 150 IP out of him is a pipe dream. And I think he's struggled with random injuries every season in the Twins system. Could still end up in the bullpen (even if Livan wasn't signed).
Blackburn, Duensing, and Humber will probably get plenty of chances getting called up for whichever starters struggle or are injured.
Swarzak and Mulvey have barely pitched at AAA yet. They don't deserve to be called up before september, but could fill in if someone is struggling.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 pm

The Thrill wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:I just don't get it. The Twins have a littany of 4th and 5th starters on their roster, all of whom are younger and cheaper and desperately need MLB experience. Rather than give them a shot, we sign another declining veteran who can block their paths. At least Livan will chew up innings and save the arms of our bullpen, but that's about the only positive thing I can say. I've come to expect this type of move from the Twins, and their reliance on veterans who are going to take them nowhere would be my one scathing criticism of Twins management.

It's double-edged sword though. You put the young guys out there who are likely not going to burn up the innings like Livan, and your bullpen performance eventually gets overworked and suffers. If the Twins want to go anywhere this season, they're going to have to rely on a solid, healthy bullpen and a guy like Livan can help in that regard.

You have a point, but there are plenty of arms in the system who could throw innings in a relief role and those same guys can make spot starts as to not overwork any of the young arms or the bullpen. I have just seen the Twins sign declining veterans too many times and in turn block better, younger players and it's cost them wins. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think Livan's 5.00 ERA doing much to help the Twins this year even if he is eating innings. It also should be noted that his innings are on the decline since a 255 IP year in 2004.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers