4 x 4 -- Why? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 x 4 -- Why?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4 x 4 -- Why?

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:35 pm

I was invited into a $$ league that will supposedly have 20 teams, head to head, and be 4 x 4 -- no Rs or WHIP.

I can alter my rankings to account for the loss of these categories, but player evaluation just seems odd to me without those cats.

1) If you have a league like this, why not just go 5 x 5.

2) Any thoughts on strategies -- draft or during season?

Thanks!
Last edited by Grouperman941 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4 x 4 -- Why?

Postby Field » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Probably doesn't change much but increase the importance of each category. For this reason, I would try to avoid players that hurt you too much in any specific category (Adam Dunn types). In 5x5 you can kind of make up for being average in 1 category, but in 4x4 you really have to be almost at the top of each category. I would say make sure to focus on grabbing an elite SB player and make sure you are in good shape with saves since those two categories you have the most control over.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Field wrote:Probably doesn't change much but increase the importance of each category. For this reason, I would try to avoid players that hurt you too much in any specific category (Adam Dunn types). In 5x5 you can kind of make up for being average in 1 category, but in 4x4 you really have to be almost at the top of each category. I would say make sure to focus on grabbing an elite SB player and make sure you are in good shape with saves since those two categories you have the most control over.

I was thinking something like this, too. In an H2H league you can punt a category, although I don't like doing that, and still get away with it. In a league with less cats I think making up the difference is simply too hard, and isn't worth doing. Although it might be an option for pitching. I'm thinking that streaming pitchers might actually be a better option as well, if it's H2H. This way you're not losing out on both WHIP and ERA and I think it would make more sense to do in this type of league.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 407)

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:34 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:
Field wrote:Probably doesn't change much but increase the importance of each category. For this reason, I would try to avoid players that hurt you too much in any specific category (Adam Dunn types). In 5x5 you can kind of make up for being average in 1 category, but in 4x4 you really have to be almost at the top of each category. I would say make sure to focus on grabbing an elite SB player and make sure you are in good shape with saves since those two categories you have the most control over.

I was thinking something like this, too. In an H2H league you can punt a category, although I don't like doing that, and still get away with it. In a league with less cats I think making up the difference is simply too hard, and isn't worth doing. Although it might be an option for pitching. I'm thinking that streaming pitchers might actually be a better option as well, if it's H2H. This way you're not losing out on both WHIP and ERA and I think it would make more sense to do in this type of league.

Interesting.

For hitting, I was actually thinking the opposite -- Since a power hitter will help in 2-3 categories while a base stealer likely will only help in 1-2, I'd let others get the base stealers (except for a true 5-cat guy). H2H is new to me, and what I gather from the Cafe, SBs are less important. You have given me more to consider.

For pitching, I think Heavy MRs and some streaming might be the way to win. There is no max moves or IPs set, so the system favors it. Not sure there will be stream-able SPs, though with 20 teams. (SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P)

Thanks for the replies. ;-D
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm

4x4 was only popular back when guys were picking up their stats through newspapers and numbers were harder to come by. I'm surprised any modern league doesn't use 5x5 or more.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby SignGuy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

When fantasy first started 4x4 was the standard, and it was minus K's, not WHIP (i think). People who have been playing this way for years are comfortable with this format and might not want to go to 5x5.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Bah, even the trailblazers should evolve. :-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby ayebatter » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:58 am

I'm still in an old established 14 team 4x4 roto keeper $ league, tough league to punt a category in and still win. I came in 1st last yr with 80 total points, 1 point ahead of 2nd place. A good 4x4 league still makes for the closest point totals at the end of the season.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1604)

Postby Grouperman941 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm

ayebatter wrote:I'm still in an old established 14 team 4x4 roto keeper $ league, tough league to punt a category in and still win. I came in 1st last yr with 80 total points, 1 point ahead of 2nd place. A good 4x4 league still makes for the closest point totals at the end of the season.

No school like the old school. :-)

This league is actually changing from 5x5 to this 4x4 set-up, which seems odd to me.

I don't want be a pain and ask too many questions -- just want to figure out how to win it. :-)
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:54 pm

That's really weird. I've heard of 4x4 a lot, but it's always w/o K's, and includes WHIP.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 133)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers