Miggy over Nomah? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miggy over Nomah?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:11 pm

I haven't read anything other than the topic question, so bear with me.

This coming from a Yankee fan, I'd take Nomar over Tejada and over Renteria. Its been my belief since Tejada wrongfully was given the MVP two years ago that he is massively overrated. Its a given that Nomar will at least hit .310 for you while .300 is a question for Tejada. I like the Boston lineup better than the Baltimore one for RBI opportunities.

One other thing that maybe hasn't been said is the pitching they will face. Nomar will be seeing a lot of Vazquez, Mussina, Brown but Tejada will also have to face Pedro, Schilling and Lowe.

For the record I'd take Nomar, DJ and Renteria over Tejada
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:13 pm

mocabeenow wrote:Let me ask you this my helpers of fantasy!!! If i have A-rod, and Renteria is not kept by one my buddies. How would you rate a infield in a 6 team league of Delgado, M. Giles, Renteria, A-Rod(3B)?

~Moc

Obviously its a great infield, but the question is who else would be available when you take Renteria.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:40 pm

Renteria would be the top SS in my draft. All the other 4 are swiped!
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:44 pm

here's what i'm projecting as the top players in my draft. I have the 2nd pick. And then i traded away my 2nd round, so my next pick isn't until the 14th pick. I have #2, #14, #16, and #17! Help?
Pedro
Schilling
RJ
Piazza
Sosa
Giambi
Kent
Sexson
B. Giles
Vazquez
Oswalt
Abreu
Sweeney
Huff
Halladay
Wilson
M. Giles
Schmidt
Renteria
Lopez
C. Lee
Glaus
A. Jones
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:14 pm

benjapage wrote:mookie, do you really expect tejada to go as late as the 3rd or 4th round? maybe it's because i have a few nostalgic a's fans in my league, but i expect him to go in the early or mid second round.

renteria is a less fashionable selection than nomar, but i might hold off until the second round and grab him then.

to the peeps in my league: i said, "i might..."

B-)
b

In Mock VII he went with the 24th pick
In Mock VIII I took him with the 23rd pick

That's mid-3rd in a 10 team leage or at the turn in a 12 team league.

In the last real draft I did, he went in the middle of the 3rd round.

I think that this spot for Tejada is better value than Nomar in the 1st.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:14 pm

I think the big difference between Nomar and Tejada is that Nomar has the "potential" to hit .350+, while I think we've seen the best from Miggy(even though I love the guy). PLUS, Nomar has got Mia!!
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zEli173 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:36 pm

astimeexpires.com wrote:i think for the value renteria is the best. how can you argue with a .330 avg and 30+ sb's. that's just beautiful. plus the fact that he hits in front of rolen and pujols makes it even that much better. nomar has some question marks with regards to how he's going to react to the sox trying to trade him and miggy is on a new team now. you can't really tell how he'll adapt either. renteria doesn't have those question marks.

-topes rule

Yep, Renteria is a much better value in most drafts where he is going a round or two later than Nomar and Tejada. I look for that to change, however, as the season draws closer. Unless something unexected happens during the spring i think Nomar will maintane his edge, but Renteria will become an increasingly sheek pick.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby justinA » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:01 pm

totally agree with Gses.. Tejada has 3 big bats in the lineup around him while in OAK he had just Chavez. Hes got Gibbons, Palmeiro, and Javy hitting behind him which means many more good pitches to hit. And not saying that he didnt want to be in OAK, but he def. wants to play in B-More because a) he came out and said it with enthusiasm and b) he signed a 6 year deal. I think that does a huge thing for his attitude and emotions. So i think he will thrive in Baltimore, and mark my words.. by the 4th year of his contract, we will be either in the ALCS or the World Series. Bold, sure. Possible, definitely. More money is opening up next year and good pitchers are gunna be up for FA. Call me crazy (and bias ;-) ), but I think it will happen.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GSes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:41 pm

blankman wrote:I haven't read anything other than the topic question, so bear with me.

This coming from a Yankee fan, I'd take Nomar over Tejada and over Renteria. Its been my belief since Tejada wrongfully was given the MVP two years ago that he is massively overrated. Its a given that Nomar will at least hit .310 for you while .300 is a question for Tejada. I like the Boston lineup better than the Baltimore one for RBI opportunities.

One other thing that maybe hasn't been said is the pitching they will face. Nomar will be seeing a lot of Vazquez, Mussina, Brown but Tejada will also have to face Pedro, Schilling and Lowe.

For the record I'd take Nomar, DJ and Renteria over Tejada

Wow so Tejada is massively overrated. Do you have proof? Can you give me some stats that proove he isnt as good as Nomar. I am pretty sure that I made a strong case that Tejada and Nomar's stats are exremly close.

As far as Renteria goes. I like him a lot and he is great but my post was really more of comparing NOMAR and TEJADA and just trying to say there isnt as big a diffrence between the 2 as most think. It is a misconception that Nomar is a lot better then Miggy.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:38 pm

Renteria is a bust? We have seen the best from Miggy?

Why would Miggy not have a good chance to peak now? He's 27, and had his home stats hamper him. Renteria had 83 rbis in 02. If he hits 300, steals 30, and has 80 rbis, he's a $30 ss.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers