Chris Perez/Jason Isringhausen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris Perez/Jason Isringhausen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chris Perez/Jason Isringhausen

Postby stumpak » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 am

I have read that Perez is being touted as the likely heir to Isringhausen next year. His AA numbers from last year were great (except that he has a very high BB rate).

Any Cards fan care to comment on the odds of 1) Isringhausen not being asked back or deciding to go elsewhere and 2) Perez making the MLB roster coming out of ST and 3) the odds of Perez assuming the closer mantle next year provided he performs well this season.

It also seems that there is a solid chance that Isringhausen will get moved at the deadline if the Cards are out of contention.

Anyway, for league formats that have a minor league component, Perez might be an under-the-radar guy that has good value in the near future.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Perez/Jason Isringhausen

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:51 am

I doubt Perez makes the club out of ST. He still has some control issues to work on. If he does good in AAA he should be in the bullpen before the end of the year. Izzy seems a likely canidate to get dealt but he would have to waive his no-trade clause. Last year it didn't sound like he was willing to do that.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm

stumpak wrote:Any Cards fan care to comment on the odds of 1) Isringhausen not being asked back or deciding to go elsewhere and 2) Perez making the MLB roster coming out of ST and 3) the odds of Perez assuming the closer mantle next year provided he performs well this season.

It also seems that there is a solid chance that Isringhausen will get moved at the deadline if the Cards are out of contention.

Everyone I talk to says Perez isn't a likely candidate to be in the bullpen on Opening Day. That being said, the pitching staff is a little thin and an injury or two could open the door for him.

If Perez looks anywhere close to ready this year, I don't think the Cards will be bringing Izzy back for another season. He'll be 36 by year's end and you have to be wary of all those past injuries/surgeries by this point.

Additionally, Izzy seems like a prime candidate for a mid-season trade, but with one caveat. He has a no-trade clause, and he likely won't waive it unless he's got a good shot at being the new team's closer.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cards05 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:21 pm

I think the Cards are stuck with Izzy until he decides to retire. This article expains why. If you don't want to read it, it basically states that Izzy has repeatedly said he won't waive his no trade clause and he doesn't want to play anywhere else. Normally, a rebuilding team like the Cards faced with this scenario would let him walk at year's end and take the draft picks. But, that involves offering him arbitration, which by all accounts he would accept. Thus, I see Perez as nothing more than a valuable set up man for the next 2 or 3 years. This is all conjecture, of course. But it makes sense given what we know about the situation.

In fact, the only player who seems to be really happy about things is Jason Isringhausen. During his Winter Warmup press conference, Izzy publicly pronounced, among other things, that he would exercise his no trade clause to block any potential deal. He also nixed the idea of his retirement being imminent.

"As long as I do my job, I'll be happy. I want to stay here."

All right. Now, I'm the first guy to applaud a player who genuinely seems to want to play for a specific team. A player who isn't interested in the typical mercernary behaviour we've come to expect from our athletes is a rare commodity, in my opinion. It's refreshing. I'm also at the head of the line to give all the kudos in the world to Izzy. After some of the nasty things I said about him in 2006, as well as some of the nasty things that I thought but didn't vocalise, I owe it to the man. He's healthy, and he's proven his worth. However, with all of those positive, feel good vibrations that I've got going toward Isringhausen, his current stance presents the club with a very sticky situation.

I think that most of us can agree that the 2008 St. Louis Cardinals are not a great bet to be a real contender. Lots of people think they could be competitive, and there may be some truth to that. But even the most optimistic among us have to be aware that it isn't going to be an easy road this season. The division is rapidly getting better around the Cardinals, and they're in a transition period. So, we're looking at a team that is a marginal contender, with an eight million dollar closer. Does a team in that position really need to be spending that on a commodity that will probably be seriously underutilised by the club? It's a tough question, and one that I'm not really sure I can answer satisfactorily, even just to myself.

The real conundrum we have here is because of Izzy's absolute desire to play here, and pretty much only here. Ordinarily, a team that falls out of contention, with an elite closer in the last year of a deal, would be an excellent bet to do one thing and one thing only: trade him. A top tier closer is a luxury that a non contending team simply doesn't need; the return they can get for such a valuable piece can often go a long way toward turning around the fortunes of a struggling team. In this case, however, Isringhausen is on record, declaring he won't allow himself to be traded. Okay, that's fine. He can just finish out his term here, move on with our everlasting gratitude and best wishes, and the Cardinals can reap the bounty that such a high quality free agent will bring, in the form of the draft picks.

Hold on.

See, this is where this situation gets really interesting. Izzy has proven, by words and actions, that he really doesn't have any real desire to go anywhere else. Given that fact, if the Cards really wanted to expunge him from the payroll at the end of the year, can they possibly risk offering him arbitration? To me, the answer is no. I think, if you offer Izzy arbitration, he'll just accept it. I think he would be happy to get paid market value for his services, while continuing to play where he wants to be. If the Cards really didn't want him back for 2009, they can't offer him arbitration. Of course, that means they don't get the draft picks that would help them bring in the players to turn this ship around. So, at this point, it looks to me as if the Cardinals flat out cannot get rid of Izzy, if they hope to get any kind of return at all for his departure. If you offer him arb., with the hope of reaping the draft pick bounty, he accepts. If you really want to get him off the books, you have to accept that you're going to get absolutely nothing for him.

So, what course of action can the Cardinals possibly pursue? Should they keep Izzy around? He does appear to be healthy, and when he's healthy, he's still a hell of a closer. On the other hand, they do have a whole lot of bullpen arms coming along very soon, including a couple who look as if they could definitely be closer candidates. Do they let him walk? At that point, they get absolutely nothing. Bupkes. Not even draft picks. What say you, denizens of Viva El Birdos?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I find St. Louis' bullpen to be a little bit too crowded for him to make the team. Kind of the same thing with Rasmus. Throw in an injury or two and he could get a legit shot. There's also Josh Kinney coming back.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CadensDad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:29 pm

It's still Izzys job for the entire year barring a injury

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kab21 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:40 pm

That article is assuming that Isringhausen would arbitration because he would use his NTC. Now he might accept arb at the end of the season if it's offered to him, but he would also be leaving more gauranteed money on the table. That's not as easy of a choice as the article makes it sound. And it's not the same as using the NTC to block a trade. If he's traded then he's still under the same contract. Choosing between arb and free agency, is choosing between two very different contracts. And he could just be saying this to ensure that he would get a trade bonus (maybe 2M) if he waives his NTC.

Having Isringhausen around for '09 isn't a terrible thing either for the Cards if it's on a 1 yr arb contract. He'll still be good and Perez could ideally use a season as a setup man. It's not very often that someone is promoted directly to the closer role from AAA.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Return to Baseball Leftovers