Report: Joba in the Bullpen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Joba in the Bullpen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Report: Joba in the Bullpen

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:02 am

Team officials told the New York Post that the Yankees want to limit Joba Chamberlain to about 140 innings and will start him off in the pen as a result.
140 seems an awfully small number, but it's more realistic considering that they'd love to have him pitch an extra 30 or so during October. If they really want to keep him down that far, then he'd have to spend at least two full months in a setup role. Still, the Post believes the Yanks would still go with Chamberlain in the rotation initially if someone gets hurt during spring training. As is, Ian Kennedy would be the fifth starter.
Source: New York Post
Related: Ian Kennedy

This is something I thought might happen and it scares me because it's very likely that he'll be the only competent arm in that bullpen outside of Rivera. So after 2 months of the season, they aren't going to detract from their bullpen to put Joba in the rotation and we'll never get to see him as a starter.

Although we can't really rely on Mussina staying healthy (or good) in the rotation, so who knows how this will work out. :-°
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Joba in the Bullpen

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:09 am

Damn those Joba rules!! :-t

I feel the kid is the closer of the future. Watch him get 10 starts tops.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am

It was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to get a chance to start.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Field » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 am

He's draft value takes a slight hit, I think people were drafting him expecting a little bit more. He's definitely a top end MR heading into the season with upside. Joba's in a unique fantasy situation since he could end up being a valuable closer or starter on fantasy rosters. Frustrated owners might consider dropping him after a month or two into the season if he hasn't started by then, so savvy owners might want to be on the look-out.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 am

I'm fine with him starting the season in the bullpen to limit his innings, but if he ends up there all year I'll be pissed. :-[
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm

this is actually very good new for yankees/joba fans...he only pitched 116 innings last year so pitching much more than 140 could potentially overwork his arm and cause injury...theres a 'rule of 30' that a lot of teams use to bring prospects along, and it seems to be the smartest way to make sure you dont blow out a young guys arm
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Yeah but it's really 140 + playoff starts for him unless the bullpen looks awful and Mussina looks strong.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Yeah but it's really 140 + playoff starts for him unless the bullpen looks awful and Mussina looks strong.

You're assuming they are going to make the playoffs. I like your assumption, but they'll have their work cut out for them.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:17 pm

They'll get to the playoffs, ARod is the regular season superstar afterall, I didn't say anything about making it beyond the first round. :-°
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby colt4523 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Maybe he will pull a Santana for us owners. Just hold onto him until he gets in the rotation.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers