Discussion on league rules/issues/options - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cold Stove League

Discussion on league rules/issues/options

Moderators: smoovethug, RocketsDWM

Re: Discussion on league rules/issues/options

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 am

I've actually just got two things. First, I think the proposed draft time (I know it was very informal) of next week is pretty early. I'd rather the draft waited until at least 2 weeks+. My other thing is with roster size. Rather than the standard Yahoo roster that was proposed I'm proposing C,C (1 C if people really hate this), 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF,OF,OF,OF,OF,Util. Pitchers I care less about and am fine with the proposed system. This would give slightly deeper rosters.

Also 1 other minor thing. Since this is a H2H league there is some weird stuff this year about games in March. Not sure what the issues are exactly but something to be aware of.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby smoovethug » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:08 am

I'd like the league on Yahoo.

Slow draft by cafe works best but we need to wait until everything gets settled and straight until we draft, however long it takes.

6x6 is fine. I'm for OPS with hitters but I'm really not in favor of K/BB for pitchers as it seems to count categories twice. Maybe something like losses or maybe break WHIP down to walks and hits allowed.

No max moves per week. Churning is a legit strategy nothing stops anyone else from doing it so its not like someone is gaining any unfair advantage.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util. No double catchers, no OF, OF, OF. 5 bench spots, maybe 2 DL's.

Everything else I'm pretty indifferent on unless it's something crazy.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i like everything mentioned here. im down for a complete redraft, or keeper, but i dislike keepers of like 4-5 players, doesnt make much sense, if everyone is keeping the same quality of players.

I'd like to go for re-draft. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby fezzik » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm

I could go with 5X5 or 6x6 with OPS...for the 6th pitching cat. we could use CG's (just a thought).

I like the cap on weekly moves because I disagree with churning as a legit strat, but it would not keep me out of the league if it was allowed. If there is no cap on weekly moves, another alternative is to make the 6th pitching cat something related to ratios...which would favor quality pitching over quantity. I understand everyone can churn, but that doesn't make it ok to me...I've been involved in threads where the topic was beaten to death, so I'm not trying to change anyones minds...just getting my opinion out there. ;-D

As far as a date, I suppose I'd prefer it in a few weeks but it doesn't matter all that much to me. :-?

League on yahoo works best for me. :-)

League size I'd like to be between 12 and 20...don't really care. If we increase the starting rosters to include CI, MI, and more OF's then we probably want to keep it around 12-14.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 pm

5x5 or 6x6 doesn't bother me. I'd prefer a redraft over a keeper really, would make more sense to play a year and see how active everyone is so we aren't just forming one that'll bust within 3 years. The keeper I'm in now is going into its 4th year with the same group and I played leagues with nearly everyone there for 3-4 seasons more than that so I'd rather not just rush into one. I'd also prefer a slow draft and Yahoo! for sure, I haven't played at other sites in over five years.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:28 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:If we allow churning, I think a system has to be put in place so that it doesnt come down to who can snag the best FA pitchers for the next day. As fezzik alluded to, some sort of ratios would be appropriate. Now I am not that big into stats in baseball (win shares and those type of stats) so what ratios would you recommend? Maybe Quality Starts? Losses?

I would like to see the league continue year after year. But frankly I dont think it is feasible. Inevitably, there will be turnover in the league and then it will be tough to find replacements (especially if it is a keeper league).

So I think we should go with 6 by 6 with the ratio/cat for pitching to be determined (lets have a discussion on this).

The draft date is up in the air but it seems as if we should wait a week or two. The question is: slow draft or live online??

Also, I think we need a co-commish for the league. Anyone up for this?

Two more things - what about trading (how do we review trades?) and are we sure we want to use Yahoo even though ESPN would have a free stattracker?

I know these are jumbled thoughts and may not be coherent, but as I mentioned before I do have a bit of a cold/flu so please try to sort it out.

Quality Starts as a stat definitely. ;-D

Slow Draft. ;-D , But I'd go for online draft if it was on a weekend Australian time (which is Friday and Saturday for you guys).

I was in an ESPN league last year and twice they stuffed up the weeks stats. So Yahoo is one I'd go for. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby fantasybeast27 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:38 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:In this thread, we will discuss all rules. Let's go in a logical order, going from one issue to the next. Things we need to figure out, from the top of my head:

-League Size
-Keeper? Re-draft?
-Stats/Cats
-Yahoo or ESPN?
-Minor league system?
-What qualifies a minor leaguer?
-Draft date
-Slow draft or live online via Yahoo or ESPN?
-How do we review trades?
-Are the league members ok with co-commishes?
-Set max amount of moves to week to prevent (cant think of the word used) adding and dropping players constantly

I'm sure there are many other issues to be resolved. So post an issue that you want discussed and once that has been "resolved" through a league vote or some other manner (another thread could be started to vote on the issue perhaps) then someone can start a new discussion on another item. ;-D ;-D

Let's have a good year ;-D

-League Size- Does not matter to me
-Keeper? Re-draft? Keeper for me, but Redraft is fine
-Stats/Cats- H R AVG HR SB W L K K/9 ERA
-Yahoo or ESPN? Yahoo
-Minor league system? No
-What qualifies a minor leaguer? One in the minor leagues
-Draft date No idea
-Slow draft or live online via Yahoo or ESPN? Slow or live does not matter
-How do we review trades? League Vote
-Are the league members ok with co-commishes? I dont care
-Set max amount of moves to week to prevent (cant think of the word used) adding and dropping players constantly Whatever works
fantasybeast27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Cold Stove League