Maddux A Yankee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux A Yankee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:39 am

yea i understand where your coming from. i dont want maddux if we already have 5 starters. but hey...what can you do about it? if theres a way to fix the mlb im all ears..otherwise you cant blame george cuz hes playing within the rules.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:40 am

Take this for what it's worth, from MLB.com:

Yanks 'not involved' with Maddux

It looks like Greg Maddux won't be wearing pinstripes.

A Major League Baseball source told the Bergen Record that the Yankees were moving closer to signing the free-agent pitcher, who turned the Yankees down in the winter of 1992 before signing with the Braves.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, though, shot down the report during Monday's conference call with reporters announcing the Alex Rodriguez deal.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said.

Maddux, who like Rodriguez is represented by agent Scott Boras, reportedly turned down a multi-year offer from the San Francisco Giants over the weekend. And the Chicago Cubs have raised their initial offer to Maddux of $10 million over two years, which was made Jan. 13. Details of the increase were not disclosed.

"I'd like to get something done, make my decision by the middle of next week, since most camps are opening," Maddux said recently. "But even if it's a few days after that, or even a week after that, I don't see it as a big deal. Spring Training is two weeks too long as it is. I've done my work all winter. I think after 20 years in pro ball I know how to get myself ready for a season."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:44 am

This is like the rich kid back in grade school trying to buy friends. They can't build a team so they just buy it? What was great about those Yankee teams in the '90's was that they were built on fundamentals and fairly common players, not superstars. He's destroying again everything that made that the greatest franchise in sports history if you ask me. I thought you were about to hang him for this same type of shennagins back in the '80's? Nothing against the fans of the Yankees, but I hope that team crashes and burns.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:46 am

i read that article on mlb.com also but CHECK OUT ESPN NEWS on the bottom line it says Maddux to sign with Yankees

man i understand ur frustrated but its not georges fault blame the mlb for all this. do u expect george to sit back and NOT spend his money?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:53 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:i read that article on mlb.com also but CHECK OUT ESPN NEWS on the bottom line it says Maddux to sign with Yankees

man i understand ur frustrated but its not georges fault blame the mlb for all this. do u expect george to sit back and NOT spend his money?

You know what gets me is that this spree of his is going to be the cause of a salary cap one day and I hate salary caps. It's a given that they're going to spend the most money each season, but when they start lapping teams three or four and now almost five times over something's wrong. Damn idiot. And I still don't think it's going to bring a championship either.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:59 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :~(
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:00 am

If true, I don't think this makes the Yanks that much better--he'll have a tough time in the AL East.

But for the sake of baseball, I hope this isn't true.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 2k4cubs » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 am

It's a given that they're going to spend the most money each season, but when they start lapping teams three or four and now almost five times over something's wrong. Damn idiot.[quote]

almost five times? try about 7 times.
2k4cubs
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Erboes » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:04 am

2k4cubs wrote:It's a given that they're going to spend the most money each season, but when they start lapping teams three or four and now almost five times over something's wrong. Damn idiot.

almost five times? try about 7 times.

Is there actually a team under a $30 million payroll? Wow, that truly is amazing.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j7 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:06 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:do u expect george to sit back and NOT spend his money?

that mid-90's team wasn't made with money.. so whats wrong with expecting that?? .... i think alot of us are caught up in the excitement of George's spending spree, but i agree with Erboes - it might lead to a salary cap.....theres no need for Maddux unless he becomes a lefty.. its overkill
j7
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers