Oakland signs... Mike Sweeney? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oakland signs... Mike Sweeney?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oakland signs... Mike Sweeney?

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:40 pm

It’s official. Mike Sweeney’s days with the Kansas City Royals are over. On Sunday, he agreed to a Minor League contract with the Oakland A’s.

Sweeney said he’d report to the A’s Major League camp on Wednesday with pitchers and catchers.

“They want me to play first base and DH and be a veteran presence for the younger guys,” Sweeney said from his San Diego home. “I’m excited about the opportunity and it’s close to home.”

MLB.com | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oakland signs... Mike Sweeney?

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:47 pm

He's pretty finished really but it's not like Oakland is paying him anything to see how he does.

It looks like Piazza could have kept his job if he used to play a position besides catcher where he could possibly fill in a role as a backup from time to time.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm

So does this mean no Daric Barton right out of the gate?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Good luck to Sweeney...hopefully he can manage another year or two of healthy ball.....not likely but I'd like to see it!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 am

The A's have such a logjam at 1b/dh now. It may not be before the season starts but I'd imagine someone has to be moved and I'd imagine that someone is Dan Johsnon,or Sweeney gets delt at the deadline if he stays healthy. I still think Barton will be the A's opening day 1B and Cust will get the nod at DH. With the way the A's were injury plagued last year maybe Beane is just taking an insurance policy to insure he'll have bodies on the field.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 am

J35J wrote:Good luck to Sweeney...hopefully he can manage another year or two of healthy ball.....not likely but I'd like to see it!

I know this sounds really mean and spiteful, but I hope he never plays another game. The few times I have met him either at the K or up in Omaha during a rehab stint the guy is a complete class act, you couldn't find a nicer more genuine person who loves to play baseball. But I will never get over the funk that his contract put the Royals organization through for the last half dozen seasons. And it is not even his fault really, but he will always serve as the poster boy in my mind of the dangers of putting that much of your payroll into a DH.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:50 pm

SlightlyStoopid wrote:The A's have such a logjam at 1b/dh now. It may not be before the season starts but I'd imagine someone has to be moved and I'd imagine that someone is Dan Johsnon,or Sweeney gets delt at the deadline if he stays healthy. I still think Barton will be the A's opening day 1B and Cust will get the nod at DH. With the way the A's were injury plagued last year maybe Beane is just taking an insurance policy to insure he'll have bodies on the field.

I thought that Cust was going to play in left field, that way both Johnson and Barton could see valid AB's? It seems to especially make sense since Oakland's only potential starting outfielders are Jack Cust, Travis Buck and Carlos Gonzalez, and I don't see Gonzalez making the opening day roster.

2B-Mark Ellis
1B-Daric Barton/ Mike Sweeney
3B-Eric Chavez
LF-Jack Cust
DH-Dan Johnson
SS-Bobby Crosby
C-Kurt Suzuki
CF-Ryan Sweeney/ Carlos Gonzalez
RF-Travis Buck

seems to make the most sense
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:20 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I thought that Cust was going to play in left field, that way both Johnson and Barton could see valid AB's? It seems to especially make sense since Oakland's only potential starting outfielders are Jack Cust, Travis Buck and Carlos Gonzalez, and I don't see Gonzalez making the opening day roster.

2B-Mark Ellis
1B-Daric Barton/ Mike Sweeney
3B-Eric Chavez
LF-Jack Cust
DH-Dan Johnson
SS-Bobby Crosby
C-Kurt Suzuki
CF-Ryan Sweeney/ Carlos Gonzalez
RF-Travis Buck

seems to make the most sense

You may be right but you can probably throw Denorfia into the outfield mix this year as well which gives it more depth. Cust in the outfield just scares me.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Poor Mike Sweeney, he was such a solid player, then BAM injuries.

It happens, just ask Juan Gonzalez.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Poor Mike Sweeney, he was such a solid player, then BAM injuries.

It happens, just ask Juan Gonzalez.

Sweeney was juicing too? ;-7
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers