first time commish - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

first time commish

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRock » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:21 am

PigEyesWilly wrote:I beg to differ fumbler. I can see your point if you have just basic stat catorgories, BUT, if you have some of the tougher cats, it does come down to skill. Anyone can play in a league where just the basic catergories are used, and not even be very active.

Oh good grief, let's not get into that debate again. Do a search sometime and look through all the threads we've had on that subject here. There are pros and cons of each, bottom line is to each his own.

If you're starting your own league, you would usually need players. Do you have some friends/coworkers/family/etc that will be playing with you, or are you starting a public league? If you've already got a group, why not talk it over with them? They'll appreciate having some input I'm sure. If you don't have a group, why not join an existing league(s) to get some experience with different kinds of play, it sounds like you're kinda new?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby intense » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:27 am

TheRock wrote:
PigEyesWilly wrote:I beg to differ fumbler. I can see your point if you have just basic stat catorgories, BUT, if you have some of the tougher cats, it does come down to skill. Anyone can play in a league where just the basic catergories are used, and not even be very active.

Oh good grief, let's not get into that debate again. Do a search sometime and look through all the threads we've had on that subject here. There are pros and cons of each, bottom line is to each his own.

If you're starting your own league, you would usually need players. Do you have some friends/coworkers/family/etc that will be playing with you, or are you starting a public league? If you've already got a group, why not talk it over with them? They'll appreciate having some input I'm sure. If you don't have a group, why not join an existing league(s) to get some experience with different kinds of play, it sounds like you're kinda new?

Yea, Its gonna be all school friends, I guess asking them would be a good idea, Im just debating to go H2H or Rotissiere. Which one requires more updating/paying attention? I feel as though the people who dont pay attention to their leagues for long periods of time should suffer.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tlef316 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:29 am

H2H requires alot more checking up, but if offers alot more opportunities to use somewhat hokey strategies, like churning SP's. i consider them to be equallly challenging, but h2h can create more trash talk, which might be better for a league full of friends who havent played fantasy bball before
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby intense » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:36 am

tlef316 wrote:H2H requires alot more checking up, but if offers alot more opportunities to use somewhat hokey strategies, like churning SP's. i consider them to be equallly challenging, but h2h can create more trash talk, which might be better for a league full of friends who havent played fantasy bball before

Ya, I think h2h is the way to go, we all play fantasy stuff, I know whats going on, I just want to make sure I make the settings right so its not one of those leagues everyone just forgets about. Also, Im thinking of making a $20 entry, and giving $10 for certain pre-determined stat winners each month. Like most HR in April gets $10, then in May most RBIs...ect... has anyone does this? If so, does it work well?
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:37 am

You've got some flexibility in how you set it up. You can play H2H or roto with daily or weekly lineup changes. With an inexperienced group or mixed bag, it will probably be more fun to go H2H though it will draw howls of protest from the purists who insist it's a lesser form of the game.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby intense » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:45 am

having asked the guys who will be in, they seem to want points, is it possible to balance the pitching with hitting stats so points are even between them?

thanks.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:46 am

intense wrote:having asked the guys who will be in, they seem to want points, is it possible to balance the pitching with hitting stats so points are even between them?

thanks.

Possible? Sure. Some of the folks here have posted very detailed scoring systems that work well. It's tricky, though, and minor tweaks can disrupt your carefully created balance if you're not careful.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers