Should I get Myers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I get Myers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I get Myers?

Postby timkell » Tue May 14, 2002 3:26 pm

Dilemma!

While I would love to pull off one of those previously discussed 2 for 1 deals, I don't know if it'll happen.

Is Myers worth dropping any of the players on my roster? I'm in a ten team, mlb h2h league on sportsline. Saves get 10 points, just like wins, so I'd say closers are pretty valuable, which means even if Myers becomes a closer, I'd be happy.

Here's my roster:
Piazza, Mike C Active
Klesko, Ryan 1B/OF Active
Kent, Jeff 2B/1B Active
Pujols, Albert 3B/OF/1B Active
Rodriguez, Alex SS Active
Kearns, Austin OF Active
Dunn, Adam OF Active
Walker, Larry OF Active
Drew, J.D. U Active
Hernandez, Orlando P Active
Gagne, Eric P Active
Johnson, Randy P Active
Tomko, Brett P Active
Nen, Robb P Active
Morris, Matt P Active
Sabathia, C.C. P Active
Pierzynski, A.J. C Bench
Zeile, Todd 1B/3B Bench
Cameron, Mike OF Bench
Penny, Brad P Bench
Beckett, Josh P Bench
Anderson, Matt P Bench

Is there anyone I should drop?

My potential 2-for-1 is this: Klesko and any pitcher other than Morris, Johnson, Gagne, or Nen for Giambi. Good deal? Any pitchers I should hold and not give up in this package, other than the four I mentioned?

Thanks for the help!

I love this site!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timkell » Tue May 14, 2002 3:48 pm

Keep in mind on the two for one that I would immediately pick up Myers after the trade is done.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 3:51 pm

With your team, I wouldn't drop anybody for Myers unless you hear something definite about him being called up. Keep him in mind, but I don't think there's anyone that should be dropped for him at this point.

A trade up for Giambi sounds like a good idea. I like your appraisal, although I'd probably have to think about whether to offer Beckett or Anderson. Giambi's value should be at a low, at any rate.

By the way, as to Myers becoming a closer: this is pure speculation, and certainly won't happen this season. I do feel he has the right makeup to close at some point, though. If he struggles, he might become the next Gagne a bit down the road. Again, this is guesswork, but that's part of the fun. :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby timkell » Tue May 14, 2002 4:44 pm

Oh, I know Myers probably won't be a closer, but with Nen and Gagne, I don't really need one. I'd rather he start and go nuts.

The only non-pitcher I really consider dropping is Zeile, but I like that he can play first and third in case an injury happens. You agree I should not drop Zeile? The other is Anderson, who I'm losing patience with, though I know if I wait he'll get better and I can trade him. He's too good to drop.

My fear is that either Tomko or El Duque will collapse sooner or later, so I'd trade El Duque and Klesko now, for Giambi. the guy just replied and said I would need to sweeten the deal, though. Statisitcally, one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball right now (although I know that can't last) plus Klesko for Giambi? I think it's fair. If he'd rather have Penny, I'll give him, but I'd like to keep Beckett. Would you say no deal with Penny and Klesko for Giambi?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 4:53 pm

I thought about it, but I agree with not dropping Zeile. If your team is hit by injuries, he starts looking awfully good. And I think I'd give Penny and Klesko for Giambi. I'd also rather give El Duque, but if it takes Penny to get it done, I'd do it.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby timkell » Tue May 14, 2002 5:02 pm

OK, Arlo, you the man!

So it sounds like you would do it for Tomko, El Duque or Penny, but none of my other pitchers. That sound about right? I think we're on the same page.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 5:47 pm

Sounds good to me. I'd probably agree to Sabathia, too, come to think of it.

Good luck!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 14, 2002 6:12 pm

I am curious as to why Arlo likes Penny better than El Duque?
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 14, 2002 6:16 pm

After looking at your roster. Matt Anderson comes staring out at me. He has been hurt and playes for the pitiful Tigers. You have Gagne and Nen. But, yes, keep in touch with the Phillies injuries and pounce. I plan on it.

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 6:24 pm

Once bitten, twice shy... :-> El Duque may be better when his game is on, but I feel the risk of an implosion is greater. I hope I'm wrong about this, but in this case, I'd go for security.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers