Cheer up Sox Fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheer up Sox Fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikcou » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:07 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:isn't pedro definately leaving if u guys dont offer him an extension by opening day?

I dont think so....
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:20 am

Go and see the Movie "Miracle" and then just think of the Yankee's at the Russian Team. ;-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:10 am

What Sox fans should be concerned about is how badly Cashman outmaneuvered Epstein.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby TrappedInBristol » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:20 am

Mookie4ever wrote:What Sox fans should be concerned about is how badly Cashman outmaneuvered Epstein.

IMO, Cashman didn't outmaneuver Epstein. Cashman had a superior trading chip (Soriano, 26-years old, arguably a budding super-star with a one-year contract @ $5.6 million vs Ramirez, a 32-year old, malcontent, me-first head case who couldn't spell team if you spotted him tea and half the m, with a multi-year contract at $20 million per). The Rangers were willing to bear more of the cost of that A-Rodiculous contract because what they got in return was better and cheaper.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:28 am

You can't tell me that you weren't floored when the deal was announced. Especially since it was all done on the QT while the Sox deal was negotiated for months in a completely public forum. Cashman had the deal sewn up before the Sox knew what hit them and Epstein wasn't given the chance to counter. When all the details come out I may be wrong but it looks like Epstein was treated like Carlos Boozer at last year's all star game.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TrappedInBristol » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:38 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You can't tell me that you weren't floored when the deal was announced. Especially since it was all done on the QT while the Sox deal was negotiated for months in a completely public forum. Cashman had the deal sewn up before the Sox knew what hit them and Epstein wasn't given the chance to counter. When all the details come out I may be wrong but it looks like Epstein was treated like Carlos Boozer at last year's all star game.

No doubt, the Red Sox were wrong to go public while the deal was so tenuous. Cashman and the Yanks did the right thing in keeping it confidential. IMO, Cashman learning from Epstein's mistake doesn't translate to Cashman outwitting Epstein. Basically, the Red Sox outwitted themselves, and that opened the door for the Yanks.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:49 am

TrappedInBristol wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:You can't tell me that you weren't floored when the deal was announced. Especially since it was all done on the QT while the Sox deal was negotiated for months in a completely public forum. Cashman had the deal sewn up before the Sox knew what hit them and Epstein wasn't given the chance to counter. When all the details come out I may be wrong but it looks like Epstein was treated like Carlos Boozer at last year's all star game.

No doubt, the Red Sox were wrong to go public while the deal was so tenuous. Cashman and the Yanks did the right thing in keeping it confidential. IMO, Cashman learning from Epstein's mistake doesn't translate to Cashman outwitting Epstein. Basically, the Red Sox outwitted themselves, and that opened the door for the Yanks.

hmmmm...are you agreeing with me?

I don't think that Cashman learned anything from Epstein - Cashman already knew - this is now his 7th? year (not sure) as Yankee's GM. To say that he learned anything from Epstein is a little silly.

It's Epstein who better learn, and fast or he'll be scouting the minors with Grady Little.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby WhosBabeRuth » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:03 am

Epstein is not going anywhere, hes awesome. Its not his fault The owners wouldnt spend an extra 20 million to get the deal done...Epsteain is awesome, hes done so much for the club already. In my opinion befroe the Maddux deal gets done, he should start to talk to Mr. Selig about getting Vidro before the yankees do. I dont like Pokey Reese...
WhosBabeRuth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:04 am

For the record, the Sox didn't go public, it was Hick leaking things to the press--the Sox were very, very angry.

And, I'm of the opinion that this isn't genius on Cashman's part, but the ability to take on Arod's contract without shipping out another big contract.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:12 am

I never said that it was genius - but give some credit where it is due. Cashman is experienced and is good at what he does.

With this deal he stuck it to his biggest rival in a particularly surprising way. It was a shock and it hurt the Sox. He is winning the PR war. He did a good job, admit it.

The test for Epstein is to see if he reacts to this and signs someone just to appear to be responding to the Yanks. He doesn't need to do anything, he has a good team - sit tight Theo.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers