I've been bored today... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I've been bored today...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I've been bored today...

Postby Subversive » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:48 pm

So I was looking at last year's results and playing with the calculator here (http://www.diamonddraft.com/Screens/PlayerValues.html) which lets you see how much value a player generated, based on your specific league settings. I entered our parameters (12 teams, mixed, 5x5, $260 cap, 23 man rosters) and proceeded to generate the numbers. I took at look at what every player who was drafted generated in value (more were negative than positive) relative to his auction price. Then I added up all the results for each team and compared it with where the team finished at the end of the season. Interestingly (and I guess not too surprisingly), the teams which had the best results, did the best in the final tally, with a few exceptions. I guess there's no suprise here, just thought it was sort of interesting and, as i mentioned, I was bored. Here are the results:

Finish - Total Value Obtained
1st ( -$8.20)
2nd (-$25.10) (me!:)
3rd (-$67.60)
4th (-$151.90)
5th (-$43.50)
6th (-$61)
7th (-$103.10)
8th (-$93.60)
9th (-$176.60)
10th (-$125.50)
11th (-$201.60)
12th (-$111.40)

Keep in mind this is strictly based off of what a team walked away with on auction day. No in season moves are accounted for. I guess the moral of the story is, it's a lot easier to compete for the title if you don't hamstring yourself during the auction. I also thought it was interesting that not a single team was actually 'positive value' just from the auction alone. I would have expected the numbers to balance out more. Anyway, take it for what it's worth. If anyone cares, I could post the list of players along with prices and value earned.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I've been bored today...

Postby Tavish » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 am

I'm not too surprised that no one came out with a positive value especially in a mixed league. Auction dollars have to go to a small portion of the player pool so you are forced to overpay when compared to the actual production. Typically ranking sites will distribute that $3120 over the entire player pool when they create year end values but in an auction that same amount can only go to the 276 players who are put up for bid.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Re: I've been bored today...

Postby Matthias » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:51 am

Well, this is much less surprising in roto than in something like H2H because what you're measuring is exactly what goes into the final results.

Since everyone is spending all their money, what you're in effect doing is seeing who did the best in roto stats via value and then comparing it to how they finished the year, measured in roto stats. It's not like you're comparing it to a weekly scoring mechanism where it matters, ultimately, not only how well the players performed but the distribution of that performance. So the only variable really not considered is the free agents.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers