San Diego Padres minors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

San Diego Padres minors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

San Diego Padres minors

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:01 am

Can anyone direct me to decent info on their system. I used the link posted below to get an idea on the guys in the system. But how does their system rank versus others? I had heard of a few of the guys like Hunter, Headley, and Antonelli.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: San Diego Padres minors

Postby stevethumb » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:33 am

IMO the padres farm system lacks impact players and is average in depth...chase headley is their #1 guy and is probably ready now..the padres may try him in LF in 08 in order to get the switchhitter's bat in the lineup..their last 5 #1 picks (stauffer, bush, carillo, antonelli, schmidt) don't stack up too well against most of the NL team prospects..schmidt underwent surgery a coupla months ago and stauffer and bush were busts..pitchers like mlatos and dmiller and sgarrison are a long way away and none project to be top of the rotation guys
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby High Heater » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:30 am

Antonelli has alot of promise if he sticks at 2B, could be a future 20/20 man there.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:54 pm

The Padres system is one that a lot of people are find hard to understand. Grady Fuson, the person in charge of their draft, has done a good but not great job in the last 2 years of assembling talent that often goes overlooked by fantasy fans. Here's some thoughts on their prospects that I have had recently:

Cedric Hunter: A year ago, he was their best prospect, as ranked by Bsaeball America, but has since been kind of overtaken by Headley and Antonelli. still, he's their 3rd best positional prospect, and while he profiles as a solid but unspectacular CF, he won't steal 40, or hit 40, but what he would be is a guy like Melky Cabrera, however, I really think he profiles as a better overall hitter than Melky, with more pop and better defense.

Matt Latos : Signed as one of the last draft and follows, his makeup is the only question that burdens him. Armed with a 95+ Mph fastball and a funky curvish breaking pitch that lacks consistency at this point, Latos needs minor mechanical adjustments for it to be considered a plus pitch. If he stays in the bullpen, he could be up as soon as 2009, but if they keep him as a starter, it will push his debut back until probably late '09, or 2010 so he can iron ou the wrinkles on his newest offering, the straight change, and improve his durability. Overall, though, he is what I would call a top of the rotation arm, but the liklihood he stays in the rotation is only at 25-30%.

Kyle Blanks - A huge speciman at 6'6 and 280 lbs., the 21 year old Blanks is still a project despite hitting .301/.380/.540 for a .930 OPS last year. He's suspectible to hard inside stuff, but he still has a nice power profile and is their best power prospect.

These are a few of the padres prospects you may have heard of, and while their systemis a bit unconventional in that they seem to go after the Brad Chalk's and Kellen Kulbacki's of the world, I thiunk they have a lot of impact arms, including guys like Schmidt, who although he had surgery is still a guy that profiles as a #3 starter because of his southpaw arm, his competitiveness, and his plus ancillary pitches. Drew Miller is a bit of a wold card, a guy who could be a top of the rotation guy, but a couple of things have to fall into place for that to happen, and as such, becomes more likely to become a #3-#4 starter for the Padres.

I hope thi shelps, and let me know fo you have any other questions about specific guys.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Mr.Fogie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 pm

There are three guys I like for the Padres, although I can't say exactly how long it will take them to get to the show. I'd say a few years but write down these names and keep them in a book.

3b- Chase Headley, double A player of the year. 20 HR's 78 RBI's 330 Avg.

2b- Seth Johnston, great college career at UT. Started slow in the minors but has been picking it up as of late.

SS- Lance Zawadzki, great high school player. Solid years at SD State and Lee University. He proved to be a force while playing in the Cape Cod league. He struggled early in the season but picked up big time. His bat is not his best feature but he will be a big player for the padres in 4 years I assume.
Mr.Fogie
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Minor League & College Baseball