Keeper League Off-season Trading - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Off-season Trading

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Off-season Trading

Postby Field » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:21 pm

How does everyone handle off-season trading - is it allowed? My league is entering its 3rd year (11 teams, 6 player kept each) and so far their haven't been any offseason trades. However, I just created our league for the 08 season and several managers are trying to make some 2-1 deals in hopes of upgrading their keepers.

The due date for final keepers is February 29th. Should I allow trading between now and then or just trading just be allowed during the season? I'm primarly concerned with league parity. I don't want some teams to get really strong by making several 2-1 deals. There are a few teams that are stacked with about 8 or 9 potential keepers.

Thanks.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Off-season Trading

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:31 pm

I allow off-season trades. If you're concerned about teams being too strong, your problem isn't trades in the off-season, but letting people keep 6 players.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Off-season Trading

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:13 am

Field wrote:How does everyone handle off-season trading - is it allowed? My league is entering its 3rd year (11 teams, 6 player kept each) and so far their haven't been any offseason trades. However, I just created our league for the 08 season and several managers are trying to make some 2-1 deals in hopes of upgrading their keepers.

The due date for final keepers is February 29th. Should I allow trading between now and then or just trading just be allowed during the season? I'm primarly concerned with league parity. I don't want some teams to get really strong by making several 2-1 deals. There are a few teams that are stacked with about 8 or 9 potential keepers.

Thanks.

IMO, you have to allows offseason trades this season (and I would not recommend changing it in the offseason either), because it seems like everyone is under the understanding that they can do so.

Even though it can get frustrating to watch, I don't think you can crack down on parity by limiting 2-1 deals. There are only 66 guys being kept, and there is always an opportunity to keep a guy that will become a long time star if need be. If a guy trades his star stupidly for two lesser players that end up sucking/getting hurt and he can't keep them - he can still rebuild his team by taking a flier on a young guy.

I would let them do all the trades they want and don't worry about it. I have a league where we keep 15 guys, and the offseason trading gets frustrating to watch when I see deals like Oswalt/Pierre for Crawford, but you have to allow people to make their own choices and deal with the consequences. Parity is overrated ;-)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner