Who's The Closer In Baltimore?.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's The Closer In Baltimore?....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's The Closer In Baltimore?....

Postby PappaGino297 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:42 am

I personally believe it's going to be George Sherrill. He already had some value in deeper leagues last year as a Mariners reliever, but I believe he'll take over as the Orioles' closer pending the infamous "Erik Bedard trade" is finally completed. Sherrill had a solid year in '07 for the M's.... 45 innings pitches, 28 hits, 12 runs, 17 walks, 56 K's, a 2.36 era, and a 0.99 whip! He averaged more than a K per inning and only gave up 17 walks and 28 hits through 45 innings to attain that sexy 0.99 whip! He is clearly more talented than Chad Bradford and Jamie Walker plus they are more suited for set-up roles anyway. I think everyone should target Sherrill late in drafts or through the free agency b/c you could end up with a 25+ save guy that averages more than a K per inning that won't hurt your era or whip! The best part is, it will cost basically nothing to get him!
Straight Cash Homeyyy!!
PappaGino297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who's The Closer In Baltimore?....

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:56 am

Sherrill is said to get the first shot
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Baltimore's "Around the Horn: Bullpen"
Written by Spencer Fordin/MLB.com - February 6, 2008

BALTIMORE -- Perhaps no unit of the Orioles' team reflects the changing times better than the bullpen, where the club has undergone a change of heart as much of a change in personnel.

Last year at this time, Baltimore was touting the efficiency of the free-agent market and money well spent, but a $40 million investment in four relievers couldn't save the team from the highest relief ERA in franchise history. Now, the Orioles are hoping to build an improved bullpen around frugality and a host of young arms with something to prove.

Part of the new strategy is due to injury, which claimed two power arms from Baltimore's late-inning arsenal. Both Chris Ray and Danys Baez needed elbow surgery and are expected to miss most or all of the season, which leaves veterans Chad Bradford and Jamie Walker as the only substantial investments left in the Baltimore bullpen.

Bradford and Walker, who were two of the prize additions last year, are expected to return to situational chores in 2008. That leaves manager Dave Trembley without an experienced closer, a fact that he lamented recently. Trembley is determined not to stretch the situational pair from their intended roles, which means he has to fashion a closer from scratch.

"I'd still like to get a guy who's closed and has some experience as a closer. If that doesn't happen, we'll make do with what we have," he said recently. "Somebody's going to emerge. When you carry a 12-man pitching staff, you have five starters, three relievers for late in the game and four guys that can pitch in different situations."

Those roles will mostly be settled by a vigorous sorting job in Spring Training, and the Orioles may have as many as four relief slots open for competition. Bradford and Walker are virtually the only sure things in the bullpen, which may also carry lightly tested arms like Dennis Sarfate, Rule 5 Draft pick Randor Bierd and Minor League closer Bob McCrory.

Sarfate, who came over from Houston in the Miguel Tejada trade, is considered by many to be the favorite to log innings as Baltimore's closer. The right-hander struck out 26 batters in 15 big league games last season, his first as a full-time reliever. Sarfate also logged 23 saves for Triple-A Nashville before a late-season waiver claim landed him in Houston.

The most experienced competition could come from Greg Aquino, who came to the Orioles this offseason as a waiver claim. The right-hander saved 16 games as a rookie for Arizona in 2004, but has never repeated his success. Aquino has the experience Trembley seeks, but he may not have the pure stuff to retire American League hitters on a nightly basis.

The stuff complaint doesn't apply to McCrory or fellow homegrown closer Jim Hoey, who has gotten two brief chances to stick in Baltimore's bullpen in the last two seasons. Both McCrory and Hoey have posted big Minor League numbers and would give Trembley a pair of hard-throwing and lightly tested options to use in the late innings next season.

McCrory may be a little further away, but he recorded 14 saves at Class A Frederick and 13 for Double-A Bowie before an impressive stint in the Arizona Fall League. Hoey saved 14 games for Bowie and logged a 1.33 ERA in 27 innings at Triple-A Norfolk before coming to the big leagues and getting hit hard down the stretch for the second straight year.

Baltimore is reportedly close to landing Seattle reliever George Sherrill in the long-rumored Erik Bedard trade, and Sherrill would help frame the rest of the bullpen with his experience. Trembley may also consider veteran reliever Lance Cormier -- who signed a Minor League deal after starting with the Braves last season -- for a similar role.

"I think he's a guy that is a multiple innings type guy," Trembley said of Cormier, a non-roster invite to Spring Training. "He can throw back-to-back days out of the bullpen. He could be basically a guy that starts if there's a rain delay or as a spot starter. I've talked to him, and he's of the understanding that he's coming to camp to earn a job out of the bullpen."

The stakes are a little higher for Bierd, who must stick in the bullpen or be offered back to Detroit. The 23-year-old notched a 3-2 record and a 3.35 ERA for Double-A Erie last season in his first experience against upper-level batters. Bierd struck out more batters (52) than he allowed baserunners (41) last year, attracting several teams in the process.

The Orioles will also look at Brian Burres and Matt Albers for a long relief role, and both of them have their own selling points. Albers has a higher ceiling and a stronger arm, but Burres has the luxury of knowing his manager. Trembley used Burres as a starter and long man last season and recently ticked off the southpaw's wide variety of marketable skills.

"He's kind of the forgotten man," he said. "Is he the fifth starter or is he a long guy? Is he a one-inning guy? He can do a lot of things, and I've got a good idea of what Burres can do. ... It probably would be easier for him if his role was a whole lot more defined, but he is a swing guy. That's what he is, but there's a place on the club for guys like that."

The Orioles will also evalute Fernando Cabrera and Rocky Cherry in a Spring camp that could go several ways. Trembley won't show his cards just yet, but he has several options and few big contracts coloring his vision. Baltimore's bullpen will be flexible next season, even if it doesn't have the kind of surefire answers the Orioles would like to see.

Sounds like a mess really... my only insight into this is my experience watching Jamie Walker for a couple of seasons in the Tiger's pen. He's a very, very good situational left-hander, but doesn't have anywhere near the door-slamming potential you'd like to see out of a closer. If he somehow did assume the closer role at sometime this season, I would assume that it would be on a temprorary basis.

If Sherrill does get the job, I wouldn't expect his numbers to stay so miniscule, as combining those with 35-38 saves in a season would put him in the top five at the position... not to say it couldn't happen, but I would think a guy with that kind of potential would have some hype around him. His career numbers are closer to 3.65/1.21, with 1.08 K/IP, a little more realistic I'm thinking.

Even so, if he got 45 save opportunities for the Orioles, I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever putting up projections like
- 36 Saves - 70 IP - 75 Ks - 3.50 ERA - 1.20 WHIP... which would put him around the ranks of Chad Cordero or Kevin Gregg as a decent option for a #2 closer.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PappaGino297 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:35 pm

I agree his number won't stay as miniscule! How could they? He would add a significant amount of innings pitched compared to the amount he threw last year and he would be pitching the majority of his games against the tough AL East. But I definitely believe he’ll average more than a K per inning and I think he could keep his era below 4 and his whip below 1.40 all while saving 25+ games, if giving the chance.

All i'm saying is I think he'll offer a lot of value (if giving the job - I believe he's the favorite) and it'll will cost basically nothing to get him. It's worth it to take a flier on him late in drafts or through the Free Agency.
Straight Cash Homeyyy!!
PappaGino297
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby smoovethug » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 am

Sherill FTW! He should be a nice sleeper late in drafts for owners looking to stock up on saves. His 9.68 career K/9 sure looks good.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Another Blown Save » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:08 am

Am I the only person who thinks Sherrill is overrated?
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:20 am

Another Blown Save wrote:Am I the only person who thinks Sherrill is overrated?

Overrated or not, with the rest of that O's pen he's got to be the front-runner for saves.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:47 am

am i only the one that sees a closer sticky at the top of the page? :-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby High Heater » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:07 am

i thought Sherrill was a lock when that trade happened myself imo.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby kemper5 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm

The situation is a mess, if the O's were confident on Sherrill taking over as the closer, I believe we would have heard it by now saying he's our closer. I think they will go with a committee of Sherrill, Bradford and Walker in Spring Training to see who wins, and even when the season starts, I think they may all change hands if one screws up during the season.. All in all, I may grab one of those guys and pray, but again, it's a mess..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers