Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN?

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 pm

our league simply has a rule that you have a max 2 SP add per week. in yahoo the add/drops are right on the front page so it is not a problem. just make the penalty severe enough for violating the rule that no manager will try to sneak one by the league. That should take care of it.

also as others have said make sure this is what the league wants as some managers like to do this and want to play in a league that allows streaming.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tms298 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Use k/9 instead of k's. Min IP at least 30.

Definitely works.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm

but K/9 devalues SP in other ways. We thought about moving to that but it didn't seem to really help the long term issue of studs not being worth enough in H2H.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Ender wrote:1) Do weekly lineups, they are better for H2H anyway, more strategy deciding which matchups to play etc.
2) Set a 2 max moves per week limit on Yahoo, can't really stream when you can only make 2 moves per week.

Weekly changes? 2 moves/week?
Why not just play 'draft and forget'?
And check back in October to see what happened. Should be fun.
Last edited by Syfo-Dyas on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Tarquin wrote:This season there is an option in yahoo to put max moves per week (Which I don't think was available last year). That is a better option to me than max moves per season.
The only people that are making more than 4-5 moves per week are streamers, so that should be a good solution.

My first question:
How U stream hitters?
You stream starting pitchers.

4-5?
How did U come up with that?
Injuries, underachievers, call-ups etc... are all counting toward your max moves! And still didn't pick up a single starter for that one start. Sometimes I have 26 moves in a season sometimes it's 100. I had 94 moves in my Roto league with IP and GP limit. You cant stream with those limitations. I still ended up with that many moves.
And it was necessary.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:23 pm

shawngee03 wrote:
moochman wrote:Is streaming that big of a deal? I mean, how many streamers actually win over the course of the season? Seems like you still have to stream with quality pitchers and most leagues don't let good quality sit on the wire for someone to stream. Maybe I'm missing something.

what this is refering to is starting as many SPs as possible to secure the win for W and K while sacrificing era and whip(theoretically). this works good bc you dont have to draft and SP, making your hitters and possibly RP better than the rest of teh league. a guy traded away his SPs for quality bats mid season last year, started streaming, and won teh league..it sucked

I've seen that too. But the guy didnt even bother to draft good starters. He had the plan from the start.
He had about 200 moves by the AS break.
Added 3-4 starters every day!
That is streaming! And that should be stopped.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Fugetaboutit wrote:In my head-to-head league, we have a 40 add/drop limit for the season, every move after that is 5 dollars. When the playofs start, all rosters are locked from making add/drops. You have to post a little news blurb on the message board if one of your players is going to miss a minimum of 1 game. You are then unlocked by the commish and you can add/drop only that player, hitter for a hitter or pitcher for pitcher. Works amazing.

This sounds interesting. But what you gonna do if it's a non-money league?
And you cant be sure all the time if one of your players is going to miss a minimum of 1 game. Sometimes I see my guy was bumped, cause the manager changed his mind.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tarquin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Tarquin wrote:This season there is an option in yahoo to put max moves per week (Which I don't think was available last year). That is a better option to me than max moves per season.
The only people that are making more than 4-5 moves per week are streamers, so that should be a good solution.

My first question:
How U stream hitters?
You stream starting pitchers.

4-5?
How did U come up with that?
Injuries, underachievers, call-ups etc... are all counting toward your max moves! And still didn't pick up a single starter for that one start. Sometimes I have 26 moves in a season sometimes it's 100. I had 94 moves in my Roto league with IP and GP limit. You cant stream with those limitations. I still ended up with that many moves.
And it was necessary.

Eh? did you even read my post. I never suggested streaming hitters, I dont know where you got that from.

The reason around 4 max moves Per Week (That is the new option this year) is a good number is because that is generally enough to take care other problems such as injuries, call-ups, underacheivers and so on. I was just giving an estimate of what I think would be a good number, you might obviously say that 2 or 3 may be enough, or 4 is not enough, thats not the point, the OP can decide what number he wants to put, I was giving him an idea for a solution of streaming.

Also, 94 moves over 22 weeks is 4 moves per week. Are you arguing with me for the sake of arguing here?
Tarquin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Ender wrote:1) Do weekly lineups, they are better for H2H anyway, more strategy deciding which matchups to play etc.
2) Set a 2 max moves per week limit on Yahoo, can't really stream when you can only make 2 moves per week.

Weekly changes? 2 moves/week?
Why not just play draft and forget?
And check back in October what happened. Should be fun.

I was just giving him suggestions~ Weekly transactions are much better in general for H2H, stops the annoying roster churning which doesn't in any way make fantasy baseball more fun, it makes it more of a job and a lot less fun.

The max moves per week is something I've never tried. We have a 40 transaction limit on the year and it has worked reasonable well. Makes people stop and think before making moves instead of just churning away endlessly.

Roto naturally stops these types of things because of the innings and games limits in most leagues. Weekly lineup is probably the best way to stop them in H2H.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Bwa ha ha... I personally hate streaming, though I realize some leagues appreciate it as "part of the game". So while I think it didn't yet make its way to the What's New page, this year our baseball game actually does introduce a league option to help with this. It isn't perfect, but should be better than what we offered in the past.

If you create a H2H league, you should now have a setting to select the maximum number of player acquisitions per week. In this case 'week' means 'H2H matchup'. This does not count players added to your team via trades or commissioner forced adds, only players added via free agency or waivers. This should give you some sort of throttle on streaming.

Let me know what you think.

I came up with a very complicated rule for my league, but this stops the all out streaming and still gives the freedom of managing to the players.
Heres my rule:
The Extra Starting Pitcher Add rule (I call it "limited streaming")

Everyone can add max. 2 'extra SP' every given week. Extra means if a SP is added to increase the number of SPs used for given week.
If he is not used, then the move doesnt count as an 'extra add'.
SPs can be added freely to replace SPs who were dropped, but were not used on given week.
Injury replacement adds doesnt count as extra adds. Any player who goes on DL, or dropped due to injury can be replaced by a SP. That doesnt count as the extra add either.
Adding SPs in place of a reliever or position player is allowed, but once that SP has played, and dropped for another SP, that counts as an extra starter.
You can add relievers and hitters as many as you want.
SPs acquired via trades doesnt count as extra adds.
A player can add 3 or more 'extra' SP-s for the given week, but he is allowed to use only two them.
the awesome sig by soty

Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers