Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Stopping streaming on Yahoo or ESPN?

Postby JimmyBaseball » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:23 pm

Charge everyone a dollar per drop/add. Then it goes into the winnings.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:49 pm

1) Do weekly lineups, they are better for H2H anyway, more strategy deciding which matchups to play etc.

2) Set a 2 max moves per week limit on Yahoo, can't really stream when you can only make 2 moves per week.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby socceryank » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 am

mariners47 wrote:I saw that and it's definitely something we're considering. The only hesitation is we do like to switch around our hitters a lot during the week. We don't mind it if you bring in 3 players to make sure you've got a lineup on Mondays and Thursdays. Ideally we'd still be able to allow that but disallow streaming starters.

It seems like your league needs to decide if they are for or against streaming as a general rule. They are against streaming of pitchers, but are ok with it for hitters. I understand the effect of it may not be as influential with hitters as it is with pitchers, but this is where the value of multi position eligibility becomes evident. Drafting a well balanced team should negate the need for the streaming of hitters. Besides, it seems as if each team is typically equally affected during those slower Monday/Thursday schedules, so it balances out to some degree.

We personally are going with the max transactions per week due to an owner streaming his pitchers the entire season, starting the first week (his team was appropriately named "The Daily Shuffle"). Thanks for the added feature Genie! ;-D
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fugetaboutit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:30 am

In my head-to-head league, we have a 40 add/drop limit for the season, every move after that is 5 dollars. When the playofs start, all rosters are locked from making add/drops. You have to post a little news blurb on the message board if one of your players is going to miss a minimum of 1 game. You are then unlocked by the commish and you can add/drop only that player, hitter for a hitter or pitcher for pitcher. Works amazing.
Fugetaboutit
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Is streaming that big of a deal? I mean, how many streamers actually win over the course of the season? Seems like you still have to stream with quality pitchers and most leagues don't let good quality sit on the wire for someone to stream. Maybe I'm missing something.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wheelhouse » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:07 pm

we use a rule in our league that if you pick up a player AND use that player in your lineup you cannot drop him until 7 days from the day you picked him up.......seems to work pretty good
Wheelhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby converge241 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:13 pm

weekly lineups or yearly add limits seem to avoid this if you want
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm

moochman wrote:Is streaming that big of a deal? I mean, how many streamers actually win over the course of the season? Seems like you still have to stream with quality pitchers and most leagues don't let good quality sit on the wire for someone to stream. Maybe I'm missing something.

what this is refering to is starting as many SPs as possible to secure the win for W and K while sacrificing era and whip(theoretically). this works good bc you dont have to draft and SP, making your hitters and possibly RP better than the rest of teh league. a guy traded away his SPs for quality bats mid season last year, started streaming, and won teh league..it sucked
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 pm

shawngee03 wrote:
moochman wrote:Is streaming that big of a deal? I mean, how many streamers actually win over the course of the season? Seems like you still have to stream with quality pitchers and most leagues don't let good quality sit on the wire for someone to stream. Maybe I'm missing something.

what this is refering to is starting as many SPs as possible to secure the win for W and K while sacrificing era and whip(theoretically). this works good bc you dont have to draft and SP, making your hitters and possibly RP better than the rest of teh league. a guy traded away his SPs for quality bats mid season last year, started streaming, and won teh league..it sucked

But don't the SPs have to get wins and Ks? Seems to me that most of the SPs on the wire are of lesser quality and so don't tend to get as many Ks or Ws, and I can only assume that streamers use SPs off the wire regularly becuase they stocked up on hitters, right? So if you draft your self a solid pitching staff shouldn't it counter somebody grasping at SP straws?
I,ve only played FBB for about 4 years and have yet to see any streamer do better than make the playoffs. So I see it as another strategy that probably isn't the best way to win titles.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:16 pm

moochman wrote:
shawngee03 wrote:

But don't the SPs have to get wins and Ks? Seems to me that most of the SPs on the wire are of lesser quality and so don't tend to get as many Ks or Ws, and I can only assume that streamers use SPs off the wire regularly becuase they stocked up on hitters, right? So if you draft your self a solid pitching staff shouldn't it counter somebody grasping at SP straws?
I,ve only played FBB for about 4 years and have yet to see any streamer do better than make the playoffs. So I see it as another strategy that probably isn't the best way to win titles.

It depends on how good the person is at it. It is particularily bad in H2H because at some point in the week you realize that you have already lost ERA/WHIP so you might as well stream to get the others and have a chance of a lucky ERA/WHIP win to boot. Daily H2H is pretty lame in general though, it just leads to too many shady strategies.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers