Last pitching category WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Last pitching category WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Last pitching category WHIR

Postby walkoffblast » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 pm

We will be playing a 7 x 7 H2H league this year. Right now our pitching categories are w, l, era, whip,k, sv and we are choosing between k/bb, holds and QS for our last category. Each has its drawbacks. QS seems a little redundant in this setup. Holds is a fun category for roto but I am skeptical about using it in H2H (anyone have experience in both). Feedback?
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Last pitching category WHIR

Postby MTUCache » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 pm

It's always a fine balance deciding between quantity vs. quality... too much of either makes it too easy to abuse.

With current categories of:
W - (counting, favoring quantity, encourages more starters)
L - (negative, favoring quality, encourages less starters)
ERA - (average, favoring quality, encourages less starters/more closers)
WHIP - (average, favoring quality, encourages less starters/more closers)
K - (counting, favoring quantity, encourages more starters)
SV - (counting, favoring quantity, encourages more closers)

you're putting together a league that could already be slanted slightly towards small staff of elite closers (with an Ace thrown in for good measure, if possible).

K/9 is yet another averaging category that will favor elite closers and aces only.

Holds is an interesting choice, because it opens up a lot more options on peoples' rosters and adds more strategy into the planning of your team.

But, my favorite here would be QS. Yes, it is somewhat redundant, with W and L already as categories, but it's really the only thing that encourages players to start anybody except aces and closers. This way your 3rd- and 4th-tier starters do more for you than just pile up Ks and drag down your L, ERA, and WHIP.

If you're looking to add more players into the player pool (in a large league this is definitely a good thing), then I'd go with Holds.
In a small/medium league, where you're looking to encourage more people to play the pitchers in the existing pool, I'd go with QS.

Leaving it the way it is, or even moreso if you added K/9, people will be strongly tempted to draft one ace pitcher and four closers and only start them the entire season, not willing to sacrifice the huge edge that gives them in 4/6 categories (or 5/7) just to make up for the other two (W/K).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:48 pm

This is sound advice for sure. I would also give an edge to Holds in a shallower league, but QSs otherwise. Hope this helps ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby walkoffblast » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I usually set the minimum innings pitched relatively high to keep people from simply starting only elite pitchers. The trick is really to find the balance. I always find it funny that people complain about streaming yet never seem to understand it is easy to limit the effectiveness advantage with proper league construction. At the same time leagues where there is no incentive to start your pitchers except in an ideal situation or load up on closers are equally flawed. Our league is deeper than an average league and I always liked holds to increase the player pool (and add innings you can reasonably expect people to use). I think we may be going with holds in spite of my concerns about how well they work in h2h because in general our league has enjoyed the category in the past.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DC_Commish » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:22 pm

MTUCache wrote:
you're putting together a league that could already be slanted slightly towards small staff of elite closers (with an Ace thrown in for good measure, if possible).

K/9 is yet another averaging category that will favor elite closers and aces only.

Holds is an interesting choice, because it opens up a lot more options on peoples' rosters and adds more strategy into the planning of your team.

But, my favorite here would be QS. Yes, it is somewhat redundant, with W and L already as categories, but it's really the only thing that encourages players to start anybody except aces and closers. This way your 3rd- and 4th-tier starters do more for you than just pile up Ks and drag down your L, ERA, and WHIP.

If you're looking to add more players into the player pool (in a large league this is definitely a good thing), then I'd go with Holds.
In a small/medium league, where you're looking to encourage more people to play the pitchers in the existing pool, I'd go with QS.

MTUCache has given excellent advice here. Use holds if you want to expand the universe of startable players to include middle relievers, and use quality starts if you want to discourage a bias to closers. If, as you say, your league's minimum innings pitched is sufficiently high to encourage playing lower tier starters, then I would recommend using holds.
Fight racism in our schools. American Indians are people, not mascots.
DC_Commish Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner